Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What OS

I am not a techie and I am not tuning, tweaking or anything.
    I need a robust Standard-PC with lots of RAM and a big fast HD.

A couple of months ago, I bought a new Notebook and a new Desktop PC, both with Windows 2000.

I don't really use the pro-features of Win2K, but I never worked with an OS that was more stable and more reliable. My Desktop is running 24/7 and every couple of days, I reboot manually without any other reason than force of habit.
    I am used to this, because with my former Win98, I had to reboot AT LEAST daily to prevent it from crashing or at least slowing down.

So, from my point of view, I highly recommend Win2K for stability and speed.
    Only if you are more gamer than producer, Win98 might be better ...

Wolfgang

Sean,
    I'm not techically qualified to reinstall '98. I had it done a couple of months ago by a outfit that does that sort of thing, when I had some other system issues. It fixed those. I suspect I do have a lot of debre on my system but I can't tell if I do or not. I think, because Win 2000 is a completely differnt system than '98 It might straighten things out.
    Anyway I appreciate the assistance.
    John

I work on PIII 800Mhz with 256Ram - fast mashine with Win98 SE and never haven't problems with stability ! Think that for stability most important is system to be instaled corectly, without some Inet stuff! Avcourse, I have some problems but they are from incorect software - like Camedia master..., but I don't reboot my system to 72 or 96 hours without problems. Don't loose speed or resourses...
    But my problem is another, I have and one Power Book 190cs - Mac OS 7.5.3 with 8 Ram and 66MHz CPU
    too lean for Emulation on Win, and my dream is some day I can install on it Xara, directly on Mac OS...., becouse I tryed before time, that on 486DX2 66MHz with 8 RAM the Xara work good, not like on my curent system, but work good...
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com