Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello all,

I'd like to know if there's a small proggie out there that converts files done in a variety of 3d apps who's main purpose is to convert from one to another.

I use a program here at work called Solid Edge (something like Solid Works, I think) and they export in a variety that to my knowledge, only Rhino can import, .IGES for example. My trial has run out for Rhino and cannot save or use it to convert. And at close to a grand in Canadian dollars, it's a hefty rpice for what I'd only use it for.

Thanks in advance, Wayne

Hello all,

I'd like to know if there's a small proggie out there that converts files done in a variety of 3d apps who's main purpose is to convert from one to another.

I use a program here at work called Solid Edge (something like Solid Works, I think) and they export in a variety that to my knowledge, only Rhino can import, .IGES for example. My trial has run out for Rhino and cannot save or use it to convert. And at close to a grand in Canadian dollars, it's a hefty rpice for what I'd only use it for.

Thanks in advance, Wayne

Hiya Wayne--

I'm attaching part one of two (this forum has a 300KB pinhole for file sharing!) "Crossroads (sorry, it's Windows only), and all you do it pop the zip file into a folder and double-click on the executable file.

If this doesn't suit you....all our members, too...let me know and I think I have another 3D file convertor. Please check the list for part 2 and then dump the files in the same folder, okay?

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Here's part 2 of crossroads

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Probably the best 3d file converter I've seen to date is called 3D Exploration. I don't know if it works on the Mac or not, but it supports everything. A great interface too. Truly one of the best coverters out there.

3D Exploration - by Right Hemisphere

They have a demo, but you do have to pay for the full version. However, it is easily worth it if you do any sort of cross-application commercial work at all.

Earl and all--

I believe Right Hemisphere is a Windows company, and if not (these are the 3D Paint people, right?) I've never seen a Macintosh 3D Explorer.

Doncha wish developers would get with the bi-platform attitude?????

G-

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

I didn't reply to this until I had tried both programs.

Gary,
    Unfortunately, I couldn't use your generous offer of Crossroads. None of its conversion formats can help me. Thanks a million anyway. I will hang on to it for future use in other applications.

Earl,

3D Explorer looks great as well, but again, it can't help me with certain files formats. My thanks anyway.

I am attatching a screen grab of formats Solid Edge "saves as". I might end up getting Rhino in the end (no pun intended). I've played around with it and I'll tell you, it seems pretty powerful (not to mention, fun).

In the mean time, if someone recognizes this export dialog and sees a way to convert any of these to a format Bryce can import, I'd appreciate it.

Regards, Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SE_export_dialog.gif 
Views:	270 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	2015  

Thought I'd post a sample of why and how need to do this.

Besides working on drafting up all our company product, I'm in the process of layout 2 catalogues and Bryce is ideal for rendering an accurate facsimile of the products in "unique" settings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zinc_plated_wiredeck.gif 
Views:	293 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	15511