Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Tablet

Has it got to be Wacom?
    What is the lowest standard of tablet you can go for and still be a worth while addition?

At the moment I am doing a lot of sketching type drawing and I am feeling quite frustrated using the mouse and then going back into edit it. Would the tablet be an improvement for this type of drawing? It is quite an outlay in GB for "Intuos".

Running XP with reasonable graphics card 64meg.

[This message was edited by Albacore on February 01, 2003 at 04:08.]
    Design is thinking made visual.

Has it got to be Wacom?
    What is the lowest standard of tablet you can go for and still be a worth while addition?

At the moment I am doing a lot of sketching type drawing and I am feeling quite frustrated using the mouse and then going back into edit it. Would the tablet be an improvement for this type of drawing? It is quite an outlay in GB for "Intuos".

Running XP with reasonable graphics card 64meg.

[This message was edited by Albacore on February 01, 2003 at 04:08.]
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi Albacore,

I've used a cheap tablet called Pablo. If I remember correctly it cost me 80 USD. The pen was attached to the tablet via a cable. It did support pressure sensitive stokes. I found it to be a little less accurate than the Wacom Graphire which I upgraded to after a few weeks using the Pablo.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I even used the JamStudio tablet, what a waste of money!!! While the money is substantial for the Wacom product it is one fine tool to have in ones arsenal!!

Richard http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

is great too!

I have a graphire tablet to use with a laptop when I have to go out of town or into meetings/conferences. Our office bought it through CRW. The switch in the stylus got stuck (the first malfunction ever in the 4 WACOM tablets I've delt with) almost a year to date of purchase. We mailed the entire tablet-kit to WACOM in Vancouver, WA. Three working days later the stylus and tablet was delivered back to our office fixed along with an explanation of the problem ... NO QUESTIONS ASKED and no charge except for our shipping cost to Vancouver.

Albacore

I would strongly recommend a Wacom Graphire although much depends on what size you need and what you want to do with it. Personally I can't see why anyone would need anything larger than A6. I thought it would be much too small when my partner got a Wacom Artpad2 (A6) but having got it, he is more than happy with it - and it didn't take me long to see why.

Some years ago I had the opportunity to purchase an el-cheapo tablet, can't remember the make but it was an end-of-line device hence the price. However, that depended on a battery in the pen and it kept fouling up. Eventually it failed altogether and since I had become so used to using a tablet, I opted for a Wacom Graphire and have NEVER regretted it. Its just a superb piece of kit.

I've just checked the price of the Graphire2 (A6) at www.dabs.com and they are 72.85 GBP (inc VAT) as opposed to something like 135GBP (+ VAT) for the Intuos (A6). Could be worth looking at the Graphire2. As I say, I've never regretted it.

Tracey

I've used a Wacom (A5) for nearly five years now. I can't even remember the original cost, but it's paid for itself many times over. My mouse is hardly ever used, to the extent that when I use a clients computer the mouse feels very alien. Spend the extra cash and buy a wacom
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I also use the Wacom Tablet, 2 in fact - the one on my Desktop system is the larger Artpad and the smaller Graphire on my laptop. For the past 8 months I have only been using my laptop / graphire and haven't really noticed the difference!

I haven't had any reason to complain about either size (some might say size counts) http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif I've had the ArtPad for along time.

I also use the pad for input as well - I am writing this message with a reasonably priced handwriting recognition software that accompanied my Graphire tablet. It works really well without any training and a little configuration.

What an improvement over the one I used on my Amiga computer. Ah! Now that was a computer!

The Wheel 'Amiga' Brat

Reji Martin
    Kamloops, B.C. , Canada

=================================================
    I started out with nothing & still have most of it left.

The WheelBrat

Reji Martin
    presently residing in
    Kamloops, B.C. , Canada

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left.
    ------ O
    ----- /-
    ---- ( )\\_
    The WheelBrat ~ Faisg air an Aird-a-Tuath, Canada

I used a summagraphics 12x12 for a long time, it had a wire connected to the pen which I had to resolder a bunch of times, the switch stopped working so I bypassed it and used the mouse switch, 2 hands, I got used to it, was kinda like airbrushing.

Now I have a Wacom, Intuos 6x8.

I like it!

http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

The very first time you make a tapered brush stroke with a Wacom Intuos will be the last time you consider its worth. The Graphire is also an outstanding value.

Dan Huff
    http://home.neo.rr.com/nikko/indexNEW.html