Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Slick, Jens! Ah, it brings back a lot of memories . . . I used to be one of Norway's leading airbrush artists (if I may say so myself). I worked in that medium for almost twenty years. The first time I saw an airbrush in use was when I was 18 - a rookie apprentice at an ad agency. When I saw my AD start spraying smooth, airy colors with a little pencil and a noisy compressor - well I swear it was the closest I've ever come to having a religious experience!!! I lugged all the equipment back home that weekend - I was in love. Pure Bliss!

But then, in 1995 came CorelXara - and I've hardly touched my collection of air brushes since.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Peter,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Did you remember to flip your reflection to make it a mirror image? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hm, a great idea. I considered it, but the surface of turned metal is only a little bit reflective, so it wouldn't make sense. Unless I will apply a glossy coating :-)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>BTW, I tried and failed to download the pic about a couple of hours ago (met with a blank window and no bytes being sent or received), but had no problems when I came back to it just now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the big routers at the East Coast (Mae East in Washington, the hub to Europe) had some problems yesterday, that might have been the reason.

Risto,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You are one mean looking dude, Jens! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I need your help: what does 'mean' stand for? In my dictionary there are 4 different translations, leaving me in the dark :-((

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I look more like a Pokemon that was in a catfight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahaha, I can imagine!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My mother-in-law hates it, so it was all worth while... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems to me we have the same reason to keep our hair short :-)))

Ross,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As an airbrush novice I adore the forgiving nature of 'xara airbrushing'. The interactive editing allows someone like me to build designs in xara I could only imagine in my tinted skin days of real airbrushing <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you. The best thing about digital airbrushing is that it doesn't hurt too much if you've made a mistake! I don't know any other application that is so sophisticated and fast to achieve almost any result you have in your head.

Klaus,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Slick, Jens! Ah, it brings back a lot of memories . . . I used to be one of Norway's leading airbrush artists (if I may say so myself). I worked in that medium for almost twenty years. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, we've never met before. I used to work together with a friend who had been THE airbrusher in Germany - he was from Great Britain. Unfortunately, 7 years ago he disappeared over night, leaving his home, family and me in the middle of nowhere. I've heard the rumors that he went back to Great Britain, but I've never heard from him again.

However, after I've visited your web site I knew you must have been an airbrusher, because of the way you visualize your objects, how you apply colors and gradients (the microphone!).

BTW, since there are so many members from Great Britain in this forum: maybe you have heard of James Douglas (back home he calls himself Jim which I never understood)? He should be either in the Liverpool area or greater London area...

What I am wondering about is the fact that my drawing caused most of you to mention 'memories'. Is it the airbrush illustration era (80' and 90') that brought back your memories, or is it the style of the drawing? If so, this will be an indicator that I got stuck in a time zone 2 decades ago. Let me know, it's very important, because if I start projecting past trends into my illustrations, I have to sit back and think about my future...without children it's hard to stay on top of currents trends and developments.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hi again...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I considered it, but the surface of turned metal is only a little bit reflective, so it wouldn't make sense.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't suggesting a reflection in the metal, but just being a bit mischievous and wondering if you'd remembered to use a mirror image of your original photo for your reflection (it is a reflection, isn't it?) above the words 'Super Track'! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Peter,

excellent question. Now I see what you mean. And yes, I considered to use a mirror image, that means just flip the one I used. But...I decided to cheat for one simple reason: I did not find a picture from me portraiing my right side, and because I wanted the head to look from right to left in the picture, I did not flip the picture. It's never good if a human in a picture looks to the border. If a face is placed in less than 30% of the image width to the border, it should look into the picture.

Sorry for the misunderstanding - I'm kind off the track early in the morning :-/

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Jens - The talk of memories for me has more to do with the idea of airbrushing and the connection of that to Xara. The style is not IMHO in any way dated. It seems to me to be an ideal portfolio piece for you in that it highlights your design and illustration skills as well as suggesting something about you - that you have a background in airbrush work. If they aren't too stupid, it must be very inspiring for those young agency types you've written about to meet someone of your diverse skills. I'd bet most young designers these days have very limited skill sets compared with the "old dogs".

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Ross,

thanks for the info! That's a big relief :-) because I always fear to loose the trends...maybe a common designer disease if they are over 40 :-))

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If they aren't too stupid, it must be very inspiring for those young agency types you've written about to meet someone of your diverse skills. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It should be, yes. That's what I hope.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'd bet most young designers these days have very limited skill sets compared with the "old dogs" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. Especially in times of the Internet, where a lot of young people, desperately looking to generate an income, wake up in the morning, call themselves 'designers' or 'artists' because the have some graphic app on their machines, acquire customers and mess up the market.

Times are changing, but I don't understand why they don't listen to the old dogs. I've been a tutor for several of them. Some of them told me it's too hard to learn, too much manual involvement (they had the idea the software would generate everything, even the ideas to come up with). Most of them dropped off after 3 or 4 months, because they believed they've learned enough. They opened up their own biz, and the only one thing they could come up with was offering the service for lower prices - the worst marketing concept a human can think of.

However, I survived all of them, because they could not purchase know how or experience or craftsmanship in an art supply shop around the corner!
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

Hey Jens,

I have an ex-customer (ain't they the best?) who found my services too expensive so went out and bought himself:
    Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe PageMaker
    Adobe Illustrator
    Adobe Premiere
    Adobe Kitchen Sink [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

You should see the complete and utter dross his 'studio' churns out - they should have taken a course with you, buddy! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

--
    Big Frank was
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Frank,

nonames, only nonames. Ignore them. Watch them going down the gutter and enjoy a glass of wine while watching them.

Expensive? If someone does not appreciate a value, even one single cent would be too expensive.

I know we will survive. But pls don't send those guys to me, chances are high that I will nail them to the wall :-)) during a 'live performance' in mid summer.

Fiesta !

jens
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--