Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

somethin' for sore eyes. for chrome lovers. for those of you who percieve XARA X as a tool for digital airbrushing.

but...because I have trouble uploading the pic (I guess it's the size or format - png), I have to give you the URL to view it:

digital airbrush

and a warning to all of you with a modem connection: it's a 450 k png (I didn't want to sacrifice quality).

Comments, critiques, input, opinions, flaming as always very welcome!

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hi Jens,

That is very well done, IMHO. I like the transition from smooth the brushed metal on the backdrop, and the floor discs are very nice too. Is that you in the reflection on the SuperTrak?

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Soquili,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I like the transition from smooth the brushed metal on the backdrop, and the floor discs are very nice too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried my very best. The so called 'anisotropic' material textures (brushed alu, turned metal etc) are hard to achieve with a 2D illustrations package.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is that you in the reflection on the SuperTrak? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, you've hit the target. Ol' silverback as a reflection. However, this pic is a year old. Now my mustache is much bigger :-} and the hair is even shorter which saves the hassle with the barber shops <sigh>. But...I have a 3 inch tail - not as nice as yours, but it's there (though not visible in this reflection, and I am considering to colorize it - chrome of course :-) ! ). Aren't all of us designers kind of unique in personal approach as well?

BTW, what do you think about the translucent air hose or pipe? No, it's not gel, it's a selfmade brush...

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hi Jens,

That air hose is a brush? That's great!! I thought you drew a very elaborate shape and applied some neat transparencies.

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Soquili,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>That air hose is a brush? That's great!! I thought you drew a very elaborate shape and applied some neat transparencies. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I try to keep things simple (the first rule in design is: keep it simple!).

So instead of wasting my time I started my brain, scanning all features XARA X is giving us and came up with this time saver. But to be honest: editing the spacing for the brush was driving me crazy...

In addition, I used the advanced options for gradient fills a lot - adding extra color insert points really helps to keep the surfaces / objects simple. Instead of using many layers with transparency, I used in this artwork just single surfaces and almost no transparencies...X is a fantastic application as soon as you know all it's features inside out.

jens
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

That's a great drawing, Jens. it reminds me of my DeVilbis Sprite which is gathering dust in my studio which is now a garden shed and the place where I keep my chicken feed!

--
    Big Frank was
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Jens, that brings back memories of my First Sergeant talking to me. He would tell me to use the KISS methode. Keep It Simple, Stupid. Even though it came from a First Sergeant, they are good words to live or work by. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Jens

I love the composition, both for its balance and the way the objects are arranged to draw in the eye. And the unfinished 'al' of 'digital' and the way the hose is arranged round, behind and in front of 'airbrush' are further terrific touches!

Did you remember to flip your reflection to make it a mirror image? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

BTW, I tried and failed to download the pic about a couple of hours ago (met with a blank window and no bytes being sent or received), but had no problems when I came back to it just now. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Hey!

You are one mean looking dude, Jens!

I hope that picture was taken after one of your customer sales pitches - and the customer chose the other guy because they use the "professional" adobe products... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The illustration is amazing! Peter pretty much said it all...

I shaved off all my Swedish blond locks a week ago and don't look any meaner. I look more like a Pokemon that was in a catfight [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

My mother-in-law hates it, so it was all worth while... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Great illustration Jens! I think I understand your xara/airbrush analogy. Having some airbrush experience (my Iwata HP-C resides safely preserved in its box) I often "feel" that in xara I am airbrushing. I suppose it is working with transparent colour in an object-oriented design environment that reinforces the similarity.

As an airbrush novice I adore the forgiving nature of 'xara airbrushing'. The interactive editing allows someone like me to build designs in xara I could only imagine in my tinted skin days of real airbrushing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>