Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I received Painter Classic on my new Graphire tablet CD-not expecting very much,but WOW!! It's fantastic! I hate Photoshop,have gotten reasonable results with PSP6-but this is something else entirely. I love it-but I can't figure out what I can use it for.
    I design Web sites & this seems like overkill (tho maybe I just haven't learned to control my enthusiasm yet).
    I'll be looking for ways to sneak this in now.
    Also,any good books out?
    IP

I received Painter Classic on my new Graphire tablet CD-not expecting very much,but WOW!! It's fantastic! I hate Photoshop,have gotten reasonable results with PSP6-but this is something else entirely. I love it-but I can't figure out what I can use it for.
    I design Web sites & this seems like overkill (tho maybe I just haven't learned to control my enthusiasm yet).
    I'll be looking for ways to sneak this in now.
    Also,any good books out?
    IP

Hi Robin,
    Painter Classic is a nice little program but you should try Corel Painter 6.03. Be forwarned though, take off your shoes before you run it because it will blow your socks off.
    Enjoy.
    IP

Hi there Robin!

Most people buy painter because they want to be able to get that "natural media" feel. No other programs can give you that look of "pencil on paper" quite like Painter or Painter Classic can.

So at the very least, you can use it for relaxation and doodling.

If Painter Classic has some of the liquid or gooey brushes, you can probably add some dramatic flourishes to some of your buttons or dividers.

We look forward to seeing samples of any accents or flourishes you get out of Painter Classic.

Remember to start a new topic for any picture you post.

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

PS Welcome to the Painter Forum Robin! Make yourself at home

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on September 07, 2000 at 04:03 PM.]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Winters where it\'s cold, summers where it\'s hot

in Painter Classic? I have Painter 5 (I haven't used it a whole lot for lack of time) and now I got Classic with my Graphire tablet. They must have left a lot out but from my quick looks at it, I couldn't see a lot of difference. Is it the same as version 5?

Thanks,

Dennis Cox [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

<a href=http://www.inconnect.com/~dennisco/>Carillus Design</a>
    <a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>
    IP

Hello Dennis!

I looked at the MetaCreations site and then went to Corel's site to see if they even had a chart to compare Painter and Painter Classic products . . . Nada, zip, zilch.

But I knew my neighbor's daughter got a copy with her Grapphire also so I made a trip over to their computer and looked at their copy of Painter Classic.

It can give you tear off tools from palettes just like 5 can, but along the menu bar at the top it was missing the "select", "movie" and "shapes" menu items that we have in Painter 5.

I'm not sure if they moved some or all of those features to another menu item. I doubt it. My bet is they're not in the program.

I didn't get a chance to see, but I bet that the cool plugin Floaters like liquid Metal are not available in Painter Classic. Quite possibly the floater capability is not there either.

It also looked like there were many brush "variants" missing.

So, in short, I'm 90% certain that your investment in Painter 5 is still protected. Personally, I like the name Painter Classic just because if it had been named Painter Light, or Painter Special Edition, or Painter Limited Edition, I would have felt like I was getting a hobbled edition. But those are just my impressions of the names. . .

Besides, it looks like for the price, ("Free" with your grapphire,) it packs quite a punch. It lets people who may never have thought of trying Painter out because they're not "artistically inclined", try some of the awesome natural media features of Painter. And it's a great way for people new to their pressure sensitive Wacom Tablets to see what a good buy they got (actually having a program that responds to pressure sensitivity) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, that is the best info I could find (given that I don't have Painter Classic). Hope it helped.

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Winters where it\'s cold, summers where it\'s hot

You certainly went to a lot of trouble on my account! :-)

Before I got Painter4, then 5, I bought Dabbler.

Painter Classic has that beat hands down!

Thanks again,

Dennis [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

<a href=http://www.inconnect.com/~dennisco/>Carillus Design</a>
    <a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>
    IP