Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out with some advice on the latest version of PhotoImpact.

I'm currently using an older version of PI (3 or 4, I think) and am looking to upgrade. One of the problems I have with the current version is that I need to covert true color pictures down to a 16 color grayscale GIF or PNG(or even 8 color if possible). Can you do this in PI7?
    IP

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out with some advice on the latest version of PhotoImpact.

I'm currently using an older version of PI (3 or 4, I think) and am looking to upgrade. One of the problems I have with the current version is that I need to covert true color pictures down to a 16 color grayscale GIF or PNG(or even 8 color if possible). Can you do this in PI7?
    IP

If you download the PI7 demo you can make sure.

http://www.ulead.com/pi/runme.htm

However I have looked under the "format" menu and "data type" and there seems to be all the requirements you mentioned there. Then save the image as a gif or png ( from "file" or "web" / "image optimizer".

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg
    IP

Thanks- I looked at my PI4 version again last night and it can be done. You have to be in True COlor and and go Data Format> select Indexed 16 Color (not Optimized- I'm not sure- whichever option is lower on the menu)- anyway- when the dialog box pops up you can pick Black & White as teh color option and then no dithering and voila-

As long as this is intact in PI7 I should be okay.

Does anyone know how long it takes to download the demo over a 56k modem?
    IP

a few hours... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    IP

I can't recall how big the core download was but maybe 20-30 megabytes. I used to get about 15megs and hour downloading on a 56 k modem. I used Flashget for downloading things as it split the file into streams which all tended to download at close to my normal downloading rate at the same time. So instead of my normal 1.5 k/sec i was at like 4 k/sec. Even now with cable I get like 500k/sec instead of 100 k/sec [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

www.amazesoft.com

unfortunately I think it stopped being a free program (used to have ads) but I luckily retained my older version. I'm not sure if you can use this on the PI7 download though.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg
    IP