Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

I've gotta believe that more than one of us has been stiffed for work, but I guess I'm still naive enough to believe that work I make for someone for free still deserves a thanks.

Attached is a logo I did for someone's site. They got in touch with me through one of my books, and I guess some people feel after they buy your book, they can ask favors or something.

They ask for my time, and then not even an email to thank me.

It feels kinda like univited guests who won't leave...

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheGaminingHut.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	7013  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Very nice image. Makes you kinda wish that you could repo the image somehow. People so often get caught up in themselves they forget the amount of work it takes to greate a logo or graphic.

And some people think just because you use a computer that it is easy, and therefore it is nothing for you to produce them a graphic on demand/request.

--Randy

I'm glad my compatriots agree with me on this one.
    Are we agreed, "it sucks big-time."?

I do a lot of stuff for free. This group has thanked me for my volunteer efforts more than any entity, person, or group on the Web.

I just think that when I put about 35 years of learning and formal training at the disposal of someone in need, it's not fatal to say, "thanks", you know?

Three people had busted their CDs from one of my books, and Pearson Education is slow if not downright negative about replacing CDs. So guess what I did? Yup, each got the CD within 2 days offa my own burner and my own time. The three reactions were different and interesting. One of them thanked me out the wazoo, promised to buy all my books, and offered to pay me for the inconvenience, time, and postage. The second one dropped me a line, said thanks, and asked if I needed money for compensation. The third I never heard from.

I conclude that times may change, but people don't. And that there is a fixed number of a..holes in any organization or civilization. You lose one, and you will get a fresh one (or two) in no time [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Bothered but not bitter,

Gare

Btw, attached is a new model I freely donate to this forum. It's in DXF format. Have fun. It's a pisser.

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

...but it's not about "how many" times one has been cheated. One time is one time too many, if you ask me.
    And actually... it's not really even about being "cheated". That's the wrong term here. A more explainative expression would be "taken advantage of". Because that better implies one not 'expecting' it to happen.

I myself also like to think of this specific thread as a form of empowerment, to thoughs of us "working in the field". Empowerment in the sense that just knowing we're not alone in the situation, helps strengthen, or rather re-strengthen our trust in what we're doing, and for whom we're doing it.

I don't hate the guy that 'screwed' me... i just feel betrayed by someone i thought was a friend. And that hurts more than being cheated by a client ever could.

That's MY story... and i'm sticking to it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Know what i mean? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

thanks Gary [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    That means alot coming from someone as talented as you.

Sharon P.
    www.fischerpassmoredesign.com

...ya well, i'm not-so-happy to say that i belong to this probably-not-so-elite club also folks. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Only difference is... i created AN ENTIRE WEBSITE for my "Dear John", including tons of graphics AND photo enhancements for an onLine gallery - estimated lo$$: $1500+. I took him at his word... my bad... but i've never let THAT happen again to this day.
    We had become 'sort of' friends, through contact by way of my Photoshop site. Thought i could trust 'em, and all his sob stories... it was a site for his outdoor tour guide business... my bad... ain't gonna happen again.

I don't know if his site is still up or not. Don't really care though... it's been around 3-4 years now i think. Oh well... live'n'learn... then scare... then remember that, and carry on.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Steve,

start right here:

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

If artists were payed by the hour a reasonable rate then artists would be richer than Bill please dont do that to my company Gates.

That really sucks G,maybe write back and say to them well if you read the book you would be able to do it yourself wouldnt you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Thats really disgusting behavior [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Stu.

...the wisest route to never getting cheated again by someone who commissions work and then ducks out?

***ONLY*** take on clients that live close enough to you, to get in your car and punch their lights out.

I'm kidding, okay? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com