Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Design a Wall

I want to build a 'design a wall' tool for my web site. The mockup below shows, on the left, a wall in sections. The middle and right panels would allow the user to choose a colour and then apply it to a section of wall. So, you might have a blue ceiling, white coving, orange frieze, purple wall, and a sick coloured dado. Ideally I want the user to be able to adjust the RGB values, but first things first...

My 'best' idea was to set the background color of each section in a table cell. BUT Netscape 4 does not support it.

Does anyone have a better idea? My technology preferences are JavaScript/DHTML, and then Flash or Java a long way down the scale as I have no experience/tools for either.

Very many thanks...

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grab.gif 
Views:	251 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	19181  
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP

I want to build a 'design a wall' tool for my web site. The mockup below shows, on the left, a wall in sections. The middle and right panels would allow the user to choose a colour and then apply it to a section of wall. So, you might have a blue ceiling, white coving, orange frieze, purple wall, and a sick coloured dado. Ideally I want the user to be able to adjust the RGB values, but first things first...

My 'best' idea was to set the background color of each section in a table cell. BUT Netscape 4 does not support it.

Does anyone have a better idea? My technology preferences are JavaScript/DHTML, and then Flash or Java a long way down the scale as I have no experience/tools for either.

Very many thanks...

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP

Hi Simon ...

On first thought you could do this using frames instead of table cells that way you don't have any compatibility problems using document.bgcolor.

Or.

You could do a mouseover timeout, as I assume you want the colour combinations to remain.

Alternatively, I'm sure you could do this with DHTML (the differences between NN/IE layer interpretation notwithstanding) but unfortunately, I don't have enough expertise to guide you.

www.webreference.com, however, is always a good place to start : http://www.webreference.com/dhtml/

Good luck!

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

I'm already using frames - so I could add another frameset inside! Or I'll think about your other ideas.

I'll share my conclusions.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP