Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Detailer...

hi painters... I have Classic because it came with my wacom, but the other day I went in search for Painter3D and instead found a copy of Detailer... wow, what a terrfic app... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

anyone here have any experience with Detailer... ?
    IP

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

What does Detailer do and who makes it?

http://fasolt.mtcc.com/~mom/xsquirrel.gif

My Stuff

IP

Hi Judi... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Well, Detailer was put out by the same people who created Painter ... Fractal Design... and is the original 3D version of Painter... because this is an older app it does not have all the bells and whistles that the latest full versions of Painter have, more along the lines of "Classic"... but... it also has the 3D tool set, whereby you can import your 3D models and paint them, freely rotating the models in 3D while doing so... basically, if one wants a decent app to paint 3D it will cost a pretty penny... while one can pick up a old copy of Detailer for about 20.00 online from eBay or what have ya...

Here's a screenshot, albeit a bit small (50%), here I have imported a .3ds model and am in the process of coloring the beak... for 20.00 how could ya possibly go wrong.. ?

hth [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by gidgit on September 19, 2002 at 14:45.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detailerscreenshot.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	12718  
    IP

Gidgit,

I've noticed that detailer can only import dfx and not obj files. Have you tried importing a dfx exported from Zbrush? I find it will not import dfx files made in ZBrush
    IP

I suppose one first has to ask... why ever would one be importing a file created within ZBrush... there are simply more tools and thus more possibilities allowed from this app than any of the traditional paint type apps...

Detailer as intended here is a low cost 3D paint solution that may or may not work exacticaly as you do regarding format converting etc...

I had just picked this model because it was handy within the ol folders at the time... but, now that I have had the time to try a couple saves... everything worx fine as far as I can see, using a variety of apps saving as Wavfront obj ...then importing into Detailer... no hicups, worx fine...

I can't help ya with the ZBrush situation as I only have the demo version... you could always drop by thier community and pose this question, but... in all reality it still comes back to why one would need Detailer or any other 3D paint app if they had ZBrush...

hth... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by gidgit on September 20, 2002 at 22:00.]
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I suppose one first has to ask... why ever would one be importing a file created within ZBrush... there are simply more tools and thus more possibilities allowed from this app than any of the traditional paint type apps... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well there are a number of reasons why I'd want to texture in detailer. The main one is that seeing as it has most of the tools of painter it has many more painting styles than ZBrush. Agreed ZBrush has a lot of options but it does not have the flexibility of traditional painting like painter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Detailer as intended here is a low cost 3D paint solution that may or may not work exacticaly as you do regarding format converting etc... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought a new shop copy of detailer for about £10 because it was discontinued. However when it was introduced it was a high end and expensive program.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> everything worx fine as far as I can see, using a variety of apps saving as Wavfront obj . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My copy of Detailer does not import obj files. only dfx and 3dmf. I have verion 1.0 and as far as I know they didn't bring out another version but I could be mistaken here.

Detailer also has more uv mapping options. Also it is able to make separate bump maps and highlight maps and reflection maps.

I just thought that seeing as I have it I'd like to try it out on one of my Zbrush models. If I create a dfx object in other programs like pixel3d or amapi I am able to import into detailer but not a dfx made in ZBrush. I've posted this on their forum but it has not been answered. I've also written to pixologic about it many times and have had no response. C'est la vie....
    IP

try the QUA button next to the export button in ZBrush and see if this helps with the dxf exporting...

As for Detailer not importing obj files, well the copy I have does and worx very well... version 1.0.2 ( in fact, this is shown in the screen shot I have provided above... the last option on the expanded import menu shown here is Wavefront .obj... )

hmmm? wonder what gives?

I suppose one could always use other apps to convert... workarounds... ya gotta love em ...not... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by gidgit on September 21, 2002 at 14:15.]
    IP

1.02 eh? bugger.

yeah I've tried quad. I've tried everything in fact. But I haven't tried importing a ZBrush dfx into another app and then reexporting. I'll give it a go.

EDIT Nah didn't work. In fact ZB 1.5 seems to be even worse than 1.23 in this regard. Oh well.

[This message was edited by Thelonious on September 22, 2002 at 12:41.]
    IP

Actually Detailer was replaced by painter3d. That was the reason no upgrade from 1.02. Check painter3d. That might has more options.
    IP