Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Distant Memory

This drawing is being submitted at the wrong time of the year because it is a distant memory of summer.

This drawing is my interpretation of boats coming out to the start line in a British National Youth race in Weymouth. The wind picked up from the east to give a very steep sea making life very difficult for the competitors. I was the coach for the Scottish squad and in a R.I.B. at the time and took this picture of one boat coming through a wave with its centreboard fully visible. One boat sailed over the top of my RIB with just its rudder still in the water.

This picture was published in a major yachting magazine on its front cover and this memory of boats fully out of the water will stay with me for a long time. The race itself was sailed in a steady force 5 wind with most youths completing the race. I should have said that I got help with the spray from Paul in Finland as I struggled with the large spray in the drawing

[This message was edited by Albacore on December 14, 2002 at 05:42.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	420.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	13585  
    Design is thinking made visual.

This drawing is being submitted at the wrong time of the year because it is a distant memory of summer.

This drawing is my interpretation of boats coming out to the start line in a British National Youth race in Weymouth. The wind picked up from the east to give a very steep sea making life very difficult for the competitors. I was the coach for the Scottish squad and in a R.I.B. at the time and took this picture of one boat coming through a wave with its centreboard fully visible. One boat sailed over the top of my RIB with just its rudder still in the water.

This picture was published in a major yachting magazine on its front cover and this memory of boats fully out of the water will stay with me for a long time. The race itself was sailed in a steady force 5 wind with most youths completing the race. I should have said that I got help with the spray from Paul in Finland as I struggled with the large spray in the drawing

[This message was edited by Albacore on December 14, 2002 at 05:42.]

you've captured the drama of wind/sail/waves.

I once watched in awe as a 45' ketch (38,000 lbs) completely left the water going out a treacherous cut in the Bahamas (Exuma Sound). Unfortunately - no photo to capture the moment like yours.

Again, WOW!

Wayne D

I like this image a lot. I think the way you have handled the waves is terrific and you really achieved a realistic sky.

Xara's Fractal Cloud fill, several layers and a little transparency?

Well done.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

A Xara X sailing picture that really works!

The only thing that bothers me at all is the shading on the port side of the hull, which makes the cross-section look almost like a 'V' (whereas you can see the bottom on the starboard side), but I really wish I'd drawn this one and that's praise from a fellow yachtsman!

Is that a Laser in the background, by any chance?

Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?

That is one spectacular illustration. Truly enjoyable!

Dramatic!

The people on the boat seem relaxed about the situation... Me, I would have been all "white knuckles..." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The best vector sky I have ever seen!

Fantastic work, Albacore!

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

The boat out of the water rather bothers me, but if it happened it happened and like Risto said a white knuckle time.

What is wonderful is the water!!! Am I right you in thinking you produced a brush for part of your water effect? I notice that there is an overflows outside of the main picture, if intended at least on the left side produces an interesting effect.

Judi

Another WOW!! is needed here!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I rememeber sailing on choppy waters like that, it was a white knuckle experience one does NOT forget any time soon, even 20 years later!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Really thanks for your terrific comments. Yes to all Gary's remarks with a yes to Judi and also a yes to Peter. The chap sailing the 420 looking so casual just happens to be Ian Walker at the tender age of 19, just now sailing as the helm on Britains entry to the America's Cup.

Sorry I just got wave of sea water in my keyboard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img].

Albacore, great image. Love the contrast between the angry sea and the calm sailors. Nice perspective.

Dave Zubrowski

Xara FAQ
    Dave Zubrowski