Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi there. This is the first image I did on Strata 3D. This app seems fine, easy to use and it´s free. I made the shape in Ray Dream Studio 5 modeler and export/import dxf to Strata 3D. The render speed is amazing.

emel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottle.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	9700  

Nice image! Strata 3D is indeed fast, just wished the modeling tools would be updated. (Soft shadows would help to)

--Randy

Hi Randy

Cool 3D images in your page. In your opinion what's the best modeler you've worked with?
    I find RDS5 modeler powerfull but sometimes aligning objects for meshes is a little bit messy.
    Rendering time is....tiiiiiimeeeee.

emel

...until Randy can gets a chance to respond. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I use Rhinocerus ('Rhino' for short) for most modeling. It's so much more intuitive and very strong in the 'tools' department. It has a bit of a learning curve on it, but not too bad. Especially compared to 'complete' 3D programs' modeling tools & functions.

Here's their Website url: http://www.rhino3d.com/

Mark...

Thanks.

I'll see if I can try Rhino and will let you know.

emel

Currently I use Rhino (as already mention) and Cinema4D. I am new to this game so I am still very much learning both packages.

Software is a very personal thing, so I hate saying this package is better than that package. Everyone's mind works different, and some software works better for some than others.

My suggestion is try as many demos as you can get. Magazines such as 3DWorld and ComputerArts come with CD's with software on them. That would be a good way to try out different packages.

Suggestion two, buy a package and learn and use it. Have fun!

-Randy

I have problem, man
    I get Strata, register it ........ etc
    But nevermind what I try in Strata, open DXF, or create shape or etc, the result is always the same! BIG CRASH - performed Ilegal operation bla bla bla bla unknown module exception bla bla bla.......
    I wanted just to try if there render is so speedly..... but [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    For now staying on Truecpace, now have version 5........
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Sorry to hear about your trouble with crashing. You might try video card drivers. I believe Strata uses GL for shading while Truespace uses DirectX. (not sure about this).

I have found the times I have used Strata that is pretty stable. Not as rock solid as Rhino or Cinema4D but better than alot of software I have used.

The problem is video [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    Probably, my Matrox Milenium G400 dont support GL
    To change one videocard with another only for one program.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com