Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I was entering some text the other day and everytime I hit the space bar--to add space, of course--I was tossed out of editing and into select mode. I examined Options and found what appeared to be a method of returning the Space bar to its full and upright position. But no, next time I tried to enter space, I entered select mode.

Using the arrow keys works for advancing the cursor, but c'mon folks, this is rediculous. It's one thing to reinvent DRAW each year, but don't reinvent the most basic move in word processing.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...
    IP

I was entering some text the other day and everytime I hit the space bar--to add space, of course--I was tossed out of editing and into select mode. I examined Options and found what appeared to be a method of returning the Space bar to its full and upright position. But no, next time I tried to enter space, I entered select mode.

Using the arrow keys works for advancing the cursor, but c'mon folks, this is rediculous. It's one thing to reinvent DRAW each year, but don't reinvent the most basic move in word processing.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...
    IP

Gary

This has been reported by several users in the Draw 10 newsgroup with no definitive answer.

However for some resetting the workspace (press F8 whilst launching Draw)appears to cure the problem.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

FWIW, Ctrl+space is supposed to go to pick state, not the space bar alone. In addition the space bar going to pick state can't be customized. This is not intended behavior.

What kind of text were you working on (Artistic, Para, HTML)...

T.
    IP

Common garden-variety display text. An address to add to a greeting card to be exact.

Not only that, every character I key in is accompanied by a faint popping sound effect.

Very annoying to say the least.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...
    IP

Gary, I also have this spacebar problem and find the only way I can successfully enter text is through the Edit text control.

I have moved from Draw 9 and like you find this a most frustrating problem. RAVE uses the Draw engine but does not seem to suffer the same quirk. In Draw 9 there was a similar problem with cursor keys deleting objects when selected.

Will use Xara X or Illustrator until this can be fixed!!!
    IP

Dear Mr. Humble...
    No help here, but it's nice to see a pro with aproblem once in a while. It acts like the "typeover/insert" key drifted over from WordPerfect! there's nothing in the options, however, that even allows that, that I know of. Mine isn't doing that...mine keeps dropping in a message, "Click here with text tool to add paragraph text" in a paragraph frame that I didn't ask for. My spookiest problem is trying to click on the little pencils in the Object Manager to lock/unlock the guides. Touchy, touchy! Now there's a candidate for a hot key!

Dean

Dean [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    IP