Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Damnit, when did the TalkGraphics index get that Flash thingie? It's an unmitigated accessibility disaster.</p>

First, there's no text link backup, making the entire site unusable to anyone without Flash (with no reason, since there is no actual Flash content here), and unindexable by spiders to boot.</p>

Then, when I finally get to a browser with Flash, I find the page offers nothing that couldn't be done with plain (D)HTML anyway. There's pop-up navigation, where you can't 'open in new window' to browse many areas of the site at once, and a tiny viewport onto text which is several times more inconvenient to scroll through than a standard scrollbar.</p>

Who is responsible for this mess? And can they take it away, please?</p>
    IP

Damnit, when did the TalkGraphics index get that Flash thingie? It's an unmitigated accessibility disaster.</p>

First, there's no text link backup, making the entire site unusable to anyone without Flash (with no reason, since there is no actual Flash content here), and unindexable by spiders to boot.</p>

Then, when I finally get to a browser with Flash, I find the page offers nothing that couldn't be done with plain (D)HTML anyway. There's pop-up navigation, where you can't 'open in new window' to browse many areas of the site at once, and a tiny viewport onto text which is several times more inconvenient to scroll through than a standard scrollbar.</p>

Who is responsible for this mess? And can they take it away, please?</p>
    IP

Interesting that you bring up the front page, Andrew, as I saw it for the first time yesterday myself. I bookmarked the front of the forums (from when it was i-us) and never came in through the front door.

Actually, I like the splash page - it's bright and cheery, nicely laid out and a good promo for Xara. (I'm assuming it was made with Xara [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

However, I do agree that all Flash Splashes should give the option for non-flash. 'Fraid I don't know who did the design but the contact is: webmaster@talkgraphics.com

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

<blockquote>I bookmarked the front of the forums [...] and never came in through the front door.</blockquote>

Same here; I was on a new box without the bookmark when I found it, though I'm pretty sure it's quite new.</p><blockquote>I like the splash page - it's bright and cheery</blockquote>

Oh yes, it looks quite nice. It's just a pain in the bum to use, is all!</p>
    IP

This is the adress

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/OpenTopic/a/cfrm

The splash is indeed cheerful and really "spring" but me too I find it a nuisance. Why do you have to click, for example on Adobe, and then once again on General Photoshop Topics? No, I prefer by far the intro of the Xaraxone.
    IP

I like the splash page. It's bright and very appropriate for a graphics forum.

I read several of the forums so just click on Index and it gives me the page I normally start on...I don't find it taxing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

just my 2 cents.

Jen, since I'm here I would like to echo a past post and say thanks for sharing your knowledge. If you don't know the answer, you always point us in the right direction...BTW is that really a picture of you and your partner when "young" ... oops maybe your a prodigy.

Mickie

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves
    for they shall never cease to be amused
    IP

Hi Micki ...

Thanks for the kind words! I've been lucky to have had the help of others and feel it's only fair to pass it on.

And, no, the pics are a series of stock photos (cute aren't they?!) - although a previous incarnation had my kids on the site. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP