Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Since everyone is asking for website feedback...

I have facelifted and streamlined my two websites.

www.pixelcolada.com

and

www.sheff.com

I did all the graphics in Xara. I have two sites because I wasn't able to get my name URL until this year and previously I have my other URL published in professional directories.

Some issues I ran into:

1. With extemely large Xara files (300 megs) there is a tendency to have PNG errors in bitmap fills. I resolve this by opening a previous version of the same file and refilling the object with the fill from the other file.

The reason I use such a large file is that I use the same bitmaps for printing. To recreate the same bitmaps at lower resolutions to reduce file sizes is a hassle and I can't tell by looking in the bitmap gallery which bitmap is the higher resolution.

2. I noticed that there isn't a way to create an image map hotspot in Xara that's a circle. Just polygons and rectangles. Am I doing something wrong?

3. I wish there was a way to place order to the html exported from Xara or at least look at and edit it before it goes out. I've noticed that it goes from left to right with hotspots when creating an image map rather than in a numerical sequence. I spent a lot of time in Dreamweaver sorting the order so I could attach mouseover behaviors.

4. I didn't try this as a navbar from Xara because I don't like the interface. Would it have been easier? I use mouseovers on image maps because Xara can create such good compression that I don't need to create a graphic for every single little thing.

5. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm debating whether or not I like the circle of icons in my porfolio.
    a.) I'm not sure I like it anymore
    b.) Download issues.

6. I've debated whether or not to make this site more business like or more oriented to my personality. The previous business looking sites didn't do much for me and I like the personal feel better. Any opinions?

Thanks.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Since everyone is asking for website feedback...

I have facelifted and streamlined my two websites.

www.pixelcolada.com

and

www.sheff.com

I did all the graphics in Xara. I have two sites because I wasn't able to get my name URL until this year and previously I have my other URL published in professional directories.

Some issues I ran into:

1. With extemely large Xara files (300 megs) there is a tendency to have PNG errors in bitmap fills. I resolve this by opening a previous version of the same file and refilling the object with the fill from the other file.

The reason I use such a large file is that I use the same bitmaps for printing. To recreate the same bitmaps at lower resolutions to reduce file sizes is a hassle and I can't tell by looking in the bitmap gallery which bitmap is the higher resolution.

2. I noticed that there isn't a way to create an image map hotspot in Xara that's a circle. Just polygons and rectangles. Am I doing something wrong?

3. I wish there was a way to place order to the html exported from Xara or at least look at and edit it before it goes out. I've noticed that it goes from left to right with hotspots when creating an image map rather than in a numerical sequence. I spent a lot of time in Dreamweaver sorting the order so I could attach mouseover behaviors.

4. I didn't try this as a navbar from Xara because I don't like the interface. Would it have been easier? I use mouseovers on image maps because Xara can create such good compression that I don't need to create a graphic for every single little thing.

5. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm debating whether or not I like the circle of icons in my porfolio.
    a.) I'm not sure I like it anymore
    b.) Download issues.

6. I've debated whether or not to make this site more business like or more oriented to my personality. The previous business looking sites didn't do much for me and I like the personal feel better. Any opinions?

Thanks.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I noticed that there isn't a way to create an image map hotspot in Xara that's a circle. Just polygons and rectangles. Am I doing something wrong?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you're not doing anything wrong. It's just that Xara's image map coding is pretty inadequate...

If you want a circle you'll have to code it yourself (much simpler than a polygon). If you want a polygon with valid code, you'll have to change 'polygon' to 'poly'. And don't forget the alt text! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

PS The text on the 'Sheff' site is kind of small at my 1280x1024 resolution.

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on November 26, 2001 at 12:17.]

You can almost tell what year someone graduated from Art Center Sheff by the size of the type on their web site. Yours is mouse type, on my site it's horsey type :-)

The circular icon/links are too small to be of any real use, and there is no way of telling which of the icons have already been seen.

As you are using your site for an on line portfolio, be more direct and make it easier for your visitors to see what they are selecting. (Art directors and designers are busy people and not long on patience).

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png

Hi Sheff,

generally, I like your site(s) a lot.

The 'circle of icons' is a very good and original idea, but the cons that Gary pointed out apply and I have to second them.

But even more I miss previous/next links when I click on one circle. It would make browsing through your portfolio so much easier.

And like Peter - we share the same resolution - the text in question is very small on my screen, almost unreadable.
    But as most people have 800x600 and 1024x768, this should not be a big problem.

On your 'clients' and 'about' pages, the text is a graphic. While I like the general layout (and especially the photo of the pretty blonde [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]), I don't see a reason why the text could not be 'normal' text as well.

Wolfgang

I think your site is great, and original. I will have to second some of the above suggestions regarding readability. Still, it is a wonderful site with some very skillful art, however a bit morbid for me.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Bigger fonts and better navigation. I prefer text as a graphic so that I can control the fonts.

I've never had much luck with font burning and DHTML. I didn't see any reason to do this in flash.

Other than that, thanks everyone for your feedback.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Sheff,

the portfolio is near perfect now.

One minor flaw is, that on some of the pics the layout does not fit into 800x600 anymore.

For instance "Caesars Palace" (1st one) does not fit, "Associates in Art" (bottom row) does.

But I absolutely love the preview on mouseover and the prev/next buttons as well !!

Wolfgang

There's some differences in the code in the first 21 images and the rest of them.

I have to hunt it down and fix it, but thanks.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

A question to Peter and Wolfgang: as monitors have a 4x3 format, most resolutions follow this (800x600, 1024x756, 1152x864, 1280x960, 1600x1200). Vesa did include one, the 1280x1024, that has a 5X4 format. As monitors have a 4x3, you must, in my opinion, lose parts of your screen, or, if you fill the screen, you will have distortions in all images (circles, squares,...)????

Just a question that bothers me, and I'd like to know how you solve this, or am I completely wrong?
    I opted for 1280x960 just because this 5x4 sounded to me a little odd.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.