Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

When I open a photo in Ulead PhotoImpact 8 (or vers 5) I find that the image is darker than on all the following graphics programs: Ulead Photo Explorer 7, Pixia, Adobe Photoshop, Irfan View, Paint Shop Pro, Netscape 7. To make the photo look the same as all these others I have to click twice on the brightness tab on the toolbar.

The problem is that when I scan a photo other people will not necessarily be seeing it with PhotoImpact, for example if I put it on the web. I want consistency across all the graphics programs. There is slight variations between the other programs, but it is barely noticeable.

I have looked for a setting in preferences. I have tried colour management, all the different settings without result. Can anyone help with this problem?
    IP

When I open a photo in Ulead PhotoImpact 8 (or vers 5) I find that the image is darker than on all the following graphics programs: Ulead Photo Explorer 7, Pixia, Adobe Photoshop, Irfan View, Paint Shop Pro, Netscape 7. To make the photo look the same as all these others I have to click twice on the brightness tab on the toolbar.

The problem is that when I scan a photo other people will not necessarily be seeing it with PhotoImpact, for example if I put it on the web. I want consistency across all the graphics programs. There is slight variations between the other programs, but it is barely noticeable.

I have looked for a setting in preferences. I have tried colour management, all the different settings without result. Can anyone help with this problem?
    IP

Well ok, first off, this board serves Photoshop users, not PhotoImpact users. So don't be too surprised if your question isn't resolved here. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

I was going to suggest checking the Prefs for a specific setting option that might be the cause, or a 'colour profile' setup if the app uses them, but... you've apparently done this already.

Generally though, those 2 things would be the main cause for this type of problem.

As i'm not a user of PhotoImpact, i'm afraid i can't be of much help here. My best suggestion would be to find a PhotoImpact Forum, or checkout the FAQ page at Ulead's site. See if they're aware of this issue.

As a workaround...
    I'd suggest you turn up the brightness while working on the image in PI, then just prior to saving out the file, turn the brightness back down 2 notches, to where it was when you first opened the image.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
    IP