Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Xara on the Mac

Anybody know if there are any plans for porting Xara over to the Mac?

I think the ap would kick Illustrators butt. Have you ever tried to node edit something in Illustrator. Yikes.

Beth

Anybody know if there are any plans for porting Xara over to the Mac?

I think the ap would kick Illustrators butt. Have you ever tried to node edit something in Illustrator. Yikes.

Beth

A great deal of Xara is programmed in Assembly which is directly targeted at the x86 architecture. This also accounts for the speed of Xara because it is partly written in machine language. That's good on one hand, but on the other hand it restricts ports of Xara to other platforms. Xara is tightly knot to the Intel/AMD/VIA chips and I don't expect that it will ever run on Apple hardware ...

Xara used to have a beta browser plug-in for .WEB and .XAR files (aka Flare files...) but it was pulled before it ever got to production. I wonder what happened with it, for we do use Flare files a lot on our Intratnet (maps, previews, etc.) but our Mac's can only access them from within SoftWindows (i.e Windows emulation)

Michael,

I've always wondered how well Xara worked in SoftWindows. Given Xara's speed, I always wondered if any drag from using emulation mode of windows would be compensated for by Xara's innate speed.

Athena

Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.