Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: more bugs

I am running frontpage from office 2000 and have had no problems running frontpage and xara x at the same time. In fact I have been able to use the dropper tool from the background colours box in frontpage to pick colours from an open xara x drawing.
    I have no idea why it works on my pc and not for others in this forum.

I have found Xara X too buggy to work with especially after running the bevel tool. It has corrupted several of my files which are no longer accessible. I would love to be able to use the beta for work on present projects but I'm afraid too many hours might be lost in the end. I do hope they come out with the final release soon!

I will still be using V2 until then.

-Nina

The ability to put a line (border) around a beveled object should be important to users. Also a remove effect box should be added to the bevel tool bar.

Xara X suffers from the same problem as Xara 2 with the open font gallery. If you open it and leave it open (as I often do) it will use all available CPU runtime.

In fact, there would seem to be some pretty uncooperative programming with the galleries in general, eg opening the colour gallery and just scrolling up and down uses 100% CPU!

I hope this is addressed for the final release!

Stu.

Stuart,

I have not found the problem you speak of. If you will look at the included screen capture of the Task Manager window, you will see the bump where I started XaraX and the bump where I loaded a file. But, virtually nothing when I opened, scrolled a bit, and placed the galleries next to the Task Manager window so you could see them.

I am using a 450 MHz PII Compaq, NT 4.0 SP5, 256 MB ram, 16 MB Matrox G-200. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GalleryTask.jpg 
Views:	981 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	19451  

Stuart,

I am now getting the problem that you described above (see attachment) , but only if I grab the slider on the elevator to scroll. If I page down, i.e click on the open elevator bar, or if I click the up/down buttons on the elevator, everything works fine. Only if I grab the slider and scroll.

P.S. My apologies to the forum bandwidth for posting the .jpg above insted of the intended .gif. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GalleryTask2.gif 
Views:	936 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	9288  

If Xara X won't load, try closing down the MS Indexer 'Fastfind', If its loaded. (control-alt-delete - end task)

I would still like to have plug ins available on a right click. It only seems to work if I'm right clicking on a bitmap.

I would like to be able to do this on shapes with bitmap fills as well.

Sheff
    Sheff
    My Site

Ric,

Yes it happens as soon as you drag the slider. Processor useage shoots up and stays there.

If I didn't know any better I would suggest the gallery tool thread had entered a polling loop which was not using the OS to be multi-tasking friendly...

Stu.

<blockquote>The following post I made yesterday seems to have been deleted. If you deleted it and it wasn't by accident, please let me know what's wrong ;-)</blockquote>

Stuart

I think this is more a problem with how System Monitor (or whatever you're using) measures the processor use, rather than a fault with Xara. Once you scroll the Font Gallery, the figure jumps to 100% and stays there, however if you close the gallery and re-open it, you'll find that the usage falls right back. In practice, I've not found any reduction in performance through having the Font Gallery open.

My guess is that the cause of this anomaly lies in the fact that the Font Gallery uses the file system to generate the preview bitmaps on-the-fly, presumably to minimise memory usage. When you scroll fast (it doesn't seem to happen if you step slowly down the gallery), the gallery takes control of the file system and either Windows or Xara doesn't break the link, despite no apparent activity.

I've found that Xara's other galleries use up processor time in the same way as programs with similar galleries. This is to be expected and how Win32 works. Win16 programs used 'co-operative' multitasking and could hog the processor; Win32 uses 'pre-emptive' multitasking to avoid this. Windows is unaware of which particular process you consider most important and assigns equal and more processor time to the one you're currently using.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean