Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: more bugs

Hybrid View

I am posting this in a new thread because it takes too long too get to the bottom of a long thread with a slow browser like mine.

One... when I change the dpi settings up or down it also changes the size settings. So I cannot independently change the dpi without changing the size also.

Two... Would it be possible to turn off all of the xara logos on the preveiw window. I know this is a form of advertising, but I can't see that it has any value. because I would already have Xara on my machine anyway and I can get the url. through the help menu. I like the preveiw but get distracted with all the logo's.

Three... A shortcut key, such as in fireworks (F12) so you would'nt have to go through all those steps each time you were preveiwing. or am I missing something?

will

I have found Xara X too buggy to work with especially after running the bevel tool. It has corrupted several of my files which are no longer accessible. I would love to be able to use the beta for work on present projects but I'm afraid too many hours might be lost in the end. I do hope they come out with the final release soon!

I will still be using V2 until then.

-Nina

Ric,

Yes it happens as soon as you drag the slider. Processor useage shoots up and stays there.

If I didn't know any better I would suggest the gallery tool thread had entered a polling loop which was not using the OS to be multi-tasking friendly...

Stu.

I am running frontpage from office 2000 and have had no problems running frontpage and xara x at the same time. In fact I have been able to use the dropper tool from the background colours box in frontpage to pick colours from an open xara x drawing.
    I have no idea why it works on my pc and not for others in this forum.

Haven't looked completely to see if this one's been covered yet, but here it is:

Doing something similar to Gary's new puzzle tutorial: making a beveled object within another one, both with a bitmap fill. Fine until I switch to magnify tool, then down she goes. Xara X offers the "Quit, Continue, Debug" box, but won't let you do any of them. Lost the dern job twice now.

P2,667mHz, 128MB RAM system

David Griffin

wolfgang,

I thought dpi was dots per square inch and most monitors won't display over that.

If you go to export bitmap options..browser preview and check bitmap as background it should give you a sample of a tiled background.. the xara logo's now appear all over your work. Those logo's have no value but to distract. That is a super nice feature but it is spoiled with all the logo's

will

<blockquote>The following post I made yesterday seems to have been deleted. If you deleted it and it wasn't by accident, please let me know what's wrong ;-)</blockquote>

Stuart

I think this is more a problem with how System Monitor (or whatever you're using) measures the processor use, rather than a fault with Xara. Once you scroll the Font Gallery, the figure jumps to 100% and stays there, however if you close the gallery and re-open it, you'll find that the usage falls right back. In practice, I've not found any reduction in performance through having the Font Gallery open.

My guess is that the cause of this anomaly lies in the fact that the Font Gallery uses the file system to generate the preview bitmaps on-the-fly, presumably to minimise memory usage. When you scroll fast (it doesn't seem to happen if you step slowly down the gallery), the gallery takes control of the file system and either Windows or Xara doesn't break the link, despite no apparent activity.

I've found that Xara's other galleries use up processor time in the same way as programs with similar galleries. This is to be expected and how Win32 works. Win16 programs used 'co-operative' multitasking and could hog the processor; Win32 uses 'pre-emptive' multitasking to avoid this. Windows is unaware of which particular process you consider most important and assigns equal and more processor time to the one you're currently using.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Will:

I think this might be one of the events causing this error. I can recreate this error by doing this:

This bug has been in both betas:

Open a drawing
    Select File Export
    Choose GIF, give it a name, select save
    Change the file type from GIF to JPEG from the dropdown menu (this is the kicker)
    Select Export A
    Try and save your file!
    You'll get an error occurred, file does not exist <your file name>.
    Click on OK
    You'll get a write error file does not exist <your file name>.
    Click on Ok
    Internal Error 1149.

Other events may be causing this problem, but it only happens to me when I do the above. I have sent this to Xara, hopefully it will be fixed in the next beta or final release.

Dave Zubrowski
    Dave Zubrowski

"Three or four times now I have finnished a page and gone to save and get a warning that my work cannot be saved. Why is it doing that?"

Same here. It happened after I exported a gif, then I decided to save the .xar file. It told me it couldn't open the .gif I just exported.(scratching head)

unexpected error 1149

I lost alot of work the other night when I got carried away without saving for about 2+ hours. It just froze. I tried CTRL S and it worked ... when I re-opened that file, all the blends were lost ... they weren't lost but they were rendered uneditable. I could see the outlines there as i dragged the objects around, but I couldn't fill them. Save, save, save with beta or U won't see, see, see it later.

I also posted here yesterday and it was deleted.

I can't reconstruct what I wrote however the gist was

1. Thanks for setting me straight on the dpi qustion.

2.The xara logo's won't be there any more acording to gary? I use it to check a tiled background as you said Egg. (a nice feature by the way that fireworks does not have)

3. Three or four times now I have finnished a page and gone to save and get a warning that my work cannot be saved. Why is it doing that?

4. Why do the pluggins come and go? sometimes they work sometimes they don't

will

[This message was edited by will on October 19, 2000 at 04:19 AM.]