Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: more bugs

I am posting this in a new thread because it takes too long too get to the bottom of a long thread with a slow browser like mine.

One... when I change the dpi settings up or down it also changes the size settings. So I cannot independently change the dpi without changing the size also.

Two... Would it be possible to turn off all of the xara logos on the preveiw window. I know this is a form of advertising, but I can't see that it has any value. because I would already have Xara on my machine anyway and I can get the url. through the help menu. I like the preveiw but get distracted with all the logo's.

Three... A shortcut key, such as in fireworks (F12) so you would'nt have to go through all those steps each time you were preveiwing. or am I missing something?

will

I am posting this in a new thread because it takes too long too get to the bottom of a long thread with a slow browser like mine.

One... when I change the dpi settings up or down it also changes the size settings. So I cannot independently change the dpi without changing the size also.

Two... Would it be possible to turn off all of the xara logos on the preveiw window. I know this is a form of advertising, but I can't see that it has any value. because I would already have Xara on my machine anyway and I can get the url. through the help menu. I like the preveiw but get distracted with all the logo's.

Three... A shortcut key, such as in fireworks (F12) so you would'nt have to go through all those steps each time you were preveiwing. or am I missing something?

will

On Windows 2000 dual CPU system:

1. Today Xara X beta 2 just disappeared with my document, when I browsed her to a folder for fill gallery. It just quit without any messages and I lost my work.

2. Fill gallery produces some gray thumbs, i.e. many perfectly functional JPEGs do not get a decent thumbnail.

3. Font gallery needs to response to up/down arrow keys, preferably with "live" update of the selected object(s). This way it would be easy to search for that perfect Q. Now you have to click, focus your eyes to the result, focus you eyes to the next font in the list, click, focus your eyes to the result....
    Not too productive I'm afraid.

will,

if you change the dpi setting, the size in pixels HAS to change. That's not a bug.

The size in PIXELS refers to the physical measure of your drawing.

The DPI-setting defines the size when you PRINT your work.

If you want to use the graphics on a computer screen (web etc.) you deal with pixels only. There's no need for dpi, because there simply ARE no dpis. A computer screen may have 72 or 96 dpi, but that's not the point. If you have a resolution of say 1024 by 768 pixels, a 1024 pixel wide graphic will always fill it up, no matter which dpi-setting you choose.

If you want to print your stuff, draw it in centimeters, inches or whatever. Then define the desired dpi-setting of the printout. Higher dpi-settings will change the size in PIXELS but NOT the size in centimeters (only the quality changes).

As for the logos: It took me quite some time to find out what you were talking of: Browser preview of animations. I never tried that before. Right, and there are the logos. Hmmm, they do not bother me personally but you are right that they are not neccessary ...

Wolfgang

Something similar to the following was posted earlier, and I believe the poster got a response from Xara that it was not a bug (?)

If I attempt to export a white character (for example a large white "W") as a transparent gif, the letter itself becomes transparent. Xara 2.0 didn't do this. Am I missing a feature in Xara X or is this a bug?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Xara X will not open when MS FrontPage 2000 is open...period. Please fix this, Xara, as I design web sites for a living and shutting down FP in order for X to load sucks. I also use ColdFusion, so that should quell the comments from folks saying that FP stinks. Nuf' said!

Regards,
    Mark
    Visit http://www.fitrec.com for a great health, sports and fitness site!
    The Fontman
    "For those who fought for freedom...freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

wolfgang,

I thought dpi was dots per square inch and most monitors won't display over that.

If you go to export bitmap options..browser preview and check bitmap as background it should give you a sample of a tiled background.. the xara logo's now appear all over your work. Those logo's have no value but to distract. That is a super nice feature but it is spoiled with all the logo's

will

Will

Wolfgang is quite correct in what he is saying. To reiterate printers may be able to print at 600 dpi but a monitor usually only displays at 96 dpi. Therefore if you import a scan at 600 dpi the image will be far larger than the screen size and if you scale it down to screen size it scales the image down to 96 dpi.

The "export bitmap options..browser preview and check bitmap as background" feature is to be used if you want to create a bitmap as a background and wish to preview it in a browser. You can test it by drawing a 50 x 50 pixel square, with a gradient. Select the square and then "export bitmap options..browser preview and check bitmap as background" which shows you what the selection would appear like as a tiled background.

nullie it does'nt need to be the default Xara logo.

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

To all who have commented on the Xara logo in the bitmap epxort.

I do not have the public beta, but my hunch is the logo you find so distracting is put there to prevent some innocent person from exporting actual images with the beta before he or she has actually purchased the application. Once Xara X has been purchased, the annoying logos will go away.

This is a public beta and not the actual for sale version. It is designed to introduce you to Xara X and help you decide if you want to purchase the full version or to upgrade.

To add to what Woldgang said, actually dpi does refer to the resolution of a bitmap (dots per inch--sometimes referred to as PPI pixels per inch). As a screen dispaly pixel is a fixed unit and can be no bigger or smaller that the resolution at which you are working, if your image is created at 100% (96 dpi in Xara/Windows) and you export your image at 200 dpi, your image will be exported at almost twice the size.

Printers (in the USA) use LPI (lines per inch) to measure printing resolution. LPI is roughly equal to DPI time 2.

Gary

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

I received a note from Xara Ltd. letting me know that the above problem with exporting white text as a transparent gif has been fixed for the next release.

Thanks Xara,
    Bryan