Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A quick note too those who try to use the watermark feature to prevent people from using your images without permission.

I personnally would never do use them illegally, but I noticed that the Prestigious Dames site uses the watermark on almost every image. It made me wonder how hard they would be to defeat.

The first image below is from that site, the second took a few minutes with the clone brush.

http://members.home.net/johnston592/ms10-step12.jpg

http://members.home.net/johnston592/ms10-step13.jpg

And I'm a bit of a PSP dummie. Someone who really wanted to could do whatever they wanted with an image.
    IP

I can understand totally why tutorial writers watermark their pics that are included in the tut...but what bothers me is that a lot of people put them on their final image for display. Watermarks instantly detract from the image, so why put an image up for everyone to see if you are going to ruin it with a watermark? This of course is just my personal opinion, and I don't me to offend anyone or start a rucus. *S*
    Carolyn
    IP

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

Welcome to the board, Andy!

I think the watermarking came about because some unscrupulous people took graphics and claimed them as their own. Watermarking and copyright seem to go hand in hand.

There has been such a todo over copyright in the last year or two, that this is the end result. There really is no safe way to protect your work.

I use Digimarc, which does not leave a visible watermark, but tracking down images and then doing something about the offender, takes precious time and money!

Tutorial makers spend a lot of time and effort in creating and sharing their knowledge. And, we, the end users, should be respectful of their desire to protect their work in whatever manner they choose.

I do agree with you, Carolyn, that it spoils the final image. There has to be a better way!

Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    IP

This is in reply to Andy's comment on Watermarking. I find it very interesting that you have "singled" out Prestigious Dames to prove your point. You say you would never use an image "illegally", but you did when you removed the image you used from the Prestigious Dames site, "to prove your point".
    We, the tutorial writers also know that a watermark on an image, showing the results of a tutorial, detracts from the "beauty" of that image. However, that image is there simply as an illustration to show what the results will resemble when the tutorial is finished. It is not there for people to "take".
    The vast majority of tutorial writers use watermarking for their images. We realize that once anything is placed on the WWW, that some people consider it "fair game" and take what ever they want as if they are at the mall shopping.
    If you have never had your hard work and creativity stolen and displayed on anothers site and claimed as their own, then you have no idea how hurt, disillusioned, and royally po'ed it will make you. I have "first hand knowledge" of several Groups on the net that make a game out of "shopping for graphics to steal". They even make little tags to send thru their emails stating the fact that they are proud they stole it.
    I apologize if I have offended anyone with this email but I felt a real need to reply to this, since the URL was sent to me concerning this.
    Thank you for allowing me to comment on this topic.
    Sincerely,
    Kitten
    Co-Founder/Owner
    Prestigious Dames
    www.prestigiousdames.com

Protect_R_Tuts
    http://www.geocities.com/tutorial_theives/
    IP

Psssst...Andy, you missed a spot and anyone with a good eye would still know it is just the modified version of the original screenshot...
    IP

Hi Ronnie and Kitten, welcome to the board.

I just want to take a moment to clarify some things. Prestigious Dames was not being singled out. I had recently posted the URL for PD, as having great tuts, as evidenced in the following thread:

Interesting Tuts

Andy obviously went to your site to try the tutorials. I don't think he was being malicious...but was trying to be informative by suggesting that perhaps the method you are using is not the most protective.

Copyright infringement is a topic we all take seriously...and having been the victim of "whole site" theft, not once...but twice, I can certainly understand and sympathize with the need to do whatever it takes to prevent theft.

Kitten, you are "spot on" about groups out there that delight in scouring the net and taking whatever they want without regard to copyright, terms or simple net etiquette. And it is these people that need to be taken to task, but as I am sure you know, it can be a very expensive process.

Anyone who does graphics, or tuts, takes a chance every time something new is posted, that it will be taken by an unscrupulous individual or group. But we can't let them stop us from doing what we love...or they win!

There is a great tutorial on digital watermarking using PSP, (the same kind of watermarking many of the photo sites, like Corbis use) at:

PSP watermarking

Perhaps this would be a better solution for you, although, I am not sure it is any more effective.

Digimarc used to have a free service...now I see they charge $99.00 a year for up to 99 images plus $49.00 for the spider to track your images.

Perhaps someone else in the forum will jump in and offer other solutions. I hope so, as we would all benefit by it.

Joelle

Joelle

IP

Yeah, well, I can see that a watermark can detract from an image's beauty but only if it's too obvious. One can shade it down enough not be seen unless one wants to show some evidence.

Being far from artistically talented, my "images" are just flowcharts, which could be of some value. So, I'm happy to put on a discreet watermark which I know is there (if I need it).

I know I've mentioned it before elsewhere on this forum (XX, I think) but Tranz32 (www.fvs.co.uk) for $40 is wonder ful value (I have NO connection other than being a satisfied user). Batching (the most important feature), several image types, transparency control....

Most people are honest, it's the others against whom we need protection. My 2c (around 1.4p

Jon
    Jon
    IP

Thanks, Jon for posting that url. I went to visit...and they offer free online watermarking at
    watermarking

This might be a viable solution for many of us. Will have to try it out!

Joelle

Joelle

IP

I know Andy wasn't trying to cause a problem...lol, that was my way of showing humor at the whole thing...I know that a determined thief isn't going to let a watermark (of anykind)stop them from taking the image...and I also know we (PD) weren't being singled out...trust me, I have been here before when you posted the link for interesting tutorials...as for the finished image, I always leave a watermark off...it is the first thing you see on the page...I rarely sign my images either....but for the purpose of a tutorial screenshot, yes I add something...some of the folks who steal others work obviously don't have enough talent to know how to "repair" the image or just don't care...either way, it does deter a few of these folks...ones who actually worry they may get caught...and trust me there are a very few....either way...I will continue to watermark my images using whichever one of the 3 I have tubed...I find this much in preference to typing my initials on each image...at any rate, I will check back soon and see what all you guys are doing..have a good one!
    Ronni
    IP

Whew, Ronnie, you really had me worried!

Keep on making the great tuts...and feel free to post...would love to have you become a frequent visitor!

Joelle

Joelle

IP