Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Can yopu generate some income from designing "commercial" 3D art?

Go to:

http://www.theboutons.com/assets/pag...-frameset.html

The site was a pain in the dupa to create, and we don't have all the external links hooked up, but this is what you can do with a modeset investment of time, and really wanting it to happen.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Can yopu generate some income from designing "commercial" 3D art?

Go to:

http://www.theboutons.com/assets/pag...-frameset.html

The site was a pain in the dupa to create, and we don't have all the external links hooked up, but this is what you can do with a modeset investment of time, and really wanting it to happen.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

There was a thread about that in the XaraX forum a while ago and it really caught me. It is such a novel and smart idea. I'm sure I'll be adding one of those to my [future] site, it would be cool to make some money so easily doing something we love! Best of luck!

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Good luck Gary! I will have to keep your site in mind. The space explorers coffee mug, will make a great B'day gift for a co-worker.

--Randy

Hi People--

I forgot to mention that I am absolutely not soliciting business from this forum.

The only reasons I put the URL up are:

I wanted you all to see the marketing potential of artwork that is 3D in nature. NO ONE has tapped into the hyper-real T-shirt niche, right? 3D is better than 2D (or am I still on the debate forum? T-shirts are better than Lightwave).

I wanted to show you all how you can make supplementary income. I did not think that everyone was familiar with the online service, and certainly you folks know me, so you know it's for real...it's not a rip-off.

Randy, if you want to get the mug, go for it, but honestly I'm not trolling on this forum for business. It's a reality that everyone on this forum is broke, me too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Gary,

No problem if I thought you were trolling, I would ignore your post, just like all the other junk mail [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

I like the site and I like the Space design, and I and my co-worker are big coffee drinkers.

--Randy

Thanks for the cool idea Gary! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Questions:
    Do you yourself print the images to the products/materials, or is that done by someone else?
    Do YOU send the customer the products, or do you send the orders to an outside company to deliver them?

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Gary,

thanks a lot for posting this appealing and really excellent idea - makes more sense than the XARA threads about going cheap or open source for design work.

I like it a lot. But if you don't mind, I'd like to mention that the page is far too long - loading time for people on an expensive modem or ISDN connection in Europe is beyond realism. Why don't you split the pages - based on topics / categories?

Just an idea...

And no - I never had the feeling you are soliciting biz in here.

3D and industrial design galore!

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

To answer last question first, I will try to break down the pages. I hope it works that way on our vendor's end.

And, yes, we have a vendor, mostly disguised, who takes the orders and the money, prints and ships the goods, and we sit back and get checks monthly. Actually, we are not "sitting down"...my artwork has never been to "spec" before, and I'm rerendering, resizing, cropping and adding new elements to almost every image that's available on mugs, shirts, and so on.

Click on the bottom banner on the page to learn more about the company Cafe Press.

Kindest Regards,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I'd heard of this cafepress concept before and started trying to think of ways to incorporate it into graphics sites. Gary, you have a great gallery at garyworld.com - would it work with the cafepress system to put a link at the bottom of each of the pages that displays a single image? For clarity - what I mean is: Say I'm looking at the large image of the big ducky in the pool. As I'm enjoying your creativity and humor would it be possible to have some sort of link to products with just that image?

I think the current setup you have linked above doesn't do a good job of selling. The visitor doesn't get to see an adequately sized image as is necessary. Cafepress's link to a larger image leads to an image that is just too small.

Also can you limit what products are included in your shop? I'm thinking it might work to just focus on mugs or tee-shirts.

Overall it is an interesting concept. I'm glad you brought it up here.

Regards, Ross

PS - if you 3d artists want to be commercially successful selling your images with cafepress try creating a cool 3d 'portait' of a nerdy (but rich) Bill Gates. The caption would have to be catching...