Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ..NOAH SEALTH..

..thank you for your objective comment! It is indeed very refreshing.

I too, 'don't get it', Dmagician. There seems to be too much being read into some of my work. They say, if I'm not careful, I could be misrepresenting some one..people etc. In all of my posts I make it clear that I'm just 'creating' of my own visual interests etc and ABSOULTELY NOTHING, is intended to do harm in ANY WAY. But they tear it apart as if that is what was purposed. Strange, I haven't seen this done with another. Like you say..."I don't get it"?

Thanks for concern..bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

So, Bill...

You flood the forums with work, protest when no-one comments on it, but leap into pages of verbose self-justification whenever someone expresses an adverse opinion. Comparing your 'historical' attempts (labelled, with accompanying text) to Risto's stylised Vikings is disingenuous, trying to circumvent offence to others by claiming that you're just 'creating of [your] own visual interests' strikes me as a selfishly blinkered response, and your implied attack on Ross (who hasn't even been involved in this discussion) is completely unwarranted.

Sorry, Bill, but you're not the only forum member who's ever come in for negative criticism. If you 'haven't seen this done with another', however, it's probably because most others haven't invited it to quite the extent that you do!

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Regardless of what's been said here, I think it would be a shame if this incident caused you to depart from the board ... keep the flood of great images pouring forth [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com

..for your frank statements. I well appreciate
    the very artistically talented people there are in this forum.

If you have read some of my postings where I openly
    acknowledge any constructive observations to correct etc.I have corrected many times. Read carefully and you will see the
    appreciation I feel for all those wonderful tidbits of info and experience had by those on the forum.

I have great respect for all of you...I only mentioned Risto as an example of his drawing Vikings with his 'interpretation'. It is truly inspiring work. What I wanted to bring out is the fact that I've never read where the Moderator(s) have doubted his creations as "possibly misrepresenting" the valiant Viking. The line of reasoning of the Moderator(s) is not consistent to
    his alegations when he comments on some incorrect info etc. Then to say that this "type of work"could possibly give wrong impressions as has been seen with many ethnic abuse shown. THIS I TAKE AS A PERSONAL INSULT!!! To infer that this piece of artwork (Noah Sealth) which I make clear of it's intent in the post, is to APPLAUDE,as it were the individual man for his Courage and Wisdom!!!

If I thought for one momment that I, as you say cannot accept any critisim etc.I would be the first to acknowledge that. I am 66 yrs.old..have tons of experience...but never too old to learn. If you have.like I said, read some of my postings and comments offering thanks etc.to those who give constructive critique...FINE FINE.

Am I the target for something in my personal being? I don't know. I have a lot gliches therein!
    The forum is a fantastic place and setting to really learn and produce. And this I have endeouved to do. If I have, like I've said many times, offeded anyone for this I offer my heartfelt apologies. I have tried in everyway not to offend anyone with words or whatever.

I believe there is something more to all of this than what is being 'said'. I don't know exactly but I have never in all my years working as a Creative Artist experienced this type of thing.
    I've had many one-man shows of my work etc. Critiques of all kinds...I expect that,but never
    with innuendos etc. I have lived as an artist with out this type of thing...I don't think I want to finish my years having to confront this..maybe
    an exit is due.

Thank you...
    walk softly at the edges..William R.Clegg [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Look, Bill, what I really meant to say was that sometimes you just come over as trying too hard. Tempting as it can be (for all of us!) to keep trying to explain everything at length all the time, sometimes it's just best to hold back and let things be.

For what it's worth, if you'd simply presented the image as one inspired by the story that inspired you, without incorporating the name and quotation into the artwork (yes, I know it was part of the whole concept), I think your stance on 'creating' and your 'own visual interests' might have made a lot more sense. But I can assure you that I have read your posts carefully and can usually see where you're coming from &#8212 it's just that (and don't I know it from bitter experience?) sometimes trying too hard can only make things worse. (Think of 'the lady doth protest too much' from Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 2!)

No, I don't want to see you hounded from the forums (I'm not like that, believe me!) and I don't believe anyone else does either. Sorry if I came on too strong, but please just think about it some more, Bill.

All the best [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Last night, when I watched Bill react to Bruce's post, (but refrained from commenting), my feeling was that Bill was too defensive, that it would have been better if he had just accepted Bruce's attempt to educate him and said "thanks for the information".

BTW, Bruce, do you think the Suquamish of WA state are the same as the Squamish band we have in the Vancouver, BC area and northward? I didn't realize they extended so far south... I guess our national borders created an arbitrary division of what was a very large band.

Halito Bill Chim achukma?
    This is hello and how are you in the 'Choctaw" Laungauge. I did not mean to offend you. I hope that you do not leave us. I like your work and I enjoy seeing it in the forum. I may have come on a bit strong , maybe it is just me as I am from a native american background and I am a bit sensitive to this.
    I know that you did not mean any offense to anyone and you were only posting your interpretation of what Noah may have looked like. But you must keep in mind that the native american people are many different nations with many different cultures. They have different customs, different languages, arts, dress etc. and they do not all look the same. If you had just posted a picture and said this was my rendition of a native american then that would have been a little different. I do not think that you should have to do extensive research on everything that you post but be careful. I do thank you for helping me to learn a little about the Duwamish and Squwamish people. Your artwork would be much missed in this forum so I hope that you will not leave us. Hopefully you will understand where I am coming from.

May we all walk softly together.

I am not an expert on the native american nations as there are many. Most likely the Squamish people from Washington are the same people that bcdeb is asking about in Vancouver.
    http://www.squamish.net/index.htm
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

I learned that the Squamish Indian Band, as I know it, is a 1923 almalgamation of 16 Squamish speaking villages in the region from Vancouver to the Squamish River, including the lower part of the Sunshine Coast, where I live. (I didn't know that). They pronounced it "Squ-HO-o-meesh". They are actually a Coast Salish peoples, and I believe the Suquamish of WA are also. They probably spoke the same language. But apparently this was not a closely organized group, prior to the almagamation. It consisted of many distinct villages.

"Games people play" by Eric Berne.

It is a funny book in which he analyses the transactions between people, the games we all play to fill in the time we can waste.

Funny, and oh so true... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

Bill, you I would never imagine someone older than my father who is a complete "non-copmputer" man is actually using one of the best and still quite a small and unnapreciated tool called Xara to create so many great designs. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

An hey that walking near the edges always brings Catcher in the Rye back into my memory.

I'm just 25... 25 years old people should be creative, energetic, bursting with ideas.. I must admit that I'm none of these... bwah ;-). I wish I had your perspective.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And hey forum people, don't take the web too seriously. It's not a real communication. You would never say what sometimes say here if tou were standing just in front of you looking to your eyes. You wouldn't even have chance to talk that much as you sometimes do here. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Roman