Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ..NOAH SEALTH..

Here is a historical figure of whom I enjoyed reading about so very much! I've never seen any photos of the very valiant man,so I don't know
    what he looks like. So, I just created an Indian
    with the noble qualities that were dipicted in the historical article.

The complete discourse is overwhelming...because
    he brings to light that he had seen solidiers
    killing buffalo with longguns,from the train as it
    passed through the open plains..he says to them..
    possibly he didn't know what he was taliking about because..."I am a savage". Wisdom of an eagle...

I really enjoyed doing this one...

walk softly at the edges..."Wild" (my new handle they gave me) bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Annex> May I say to ALL,especially any American Indian whoever, that this piece of artwork that I did totaly from my mind does in no way portrays in any authentic way the personage here shown. If in ANY WAY someone may be offended by this figure,whom I whole heartedly wanted to reflect the beautiful, human qualities of the person of NOAH SEALTH. If the information I used to base this figure on is inaccurate, this is of course something else to be considered. I did not or will not take issue in those regards. My intent I feel has been, by some, to have been completely misconstrued. Those who are reading the piece correctly have commented with that understanding.
    So,by the advice of the Moderator I place this annexrd comment..hoping to "walk more softly at the edges". Thank you. William R.Cleg

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on July 22, 2001 at 17:58.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOAH.jpg 
Views:	818 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	5302  

Here is a historical figure of whom I enjoyed reading about so very much! I've never seen any photos of the very valiant man,so I don't know
    what he looks like. So, I just created an Indian
    with the noble qualities that were dipicted in the historical article.

The complete discourse is overwhelming...because
    he brings to light that he had seen solidiers
    killing buffalo with longguns,from the train as it
    passed through the open plains..he says to them..
    possibly he didn't know what he was taliking about because..."I am a savage". Wisdom of an eagle...

I really enjoyed doing this one...

walk softly at the edges..."Wild" (my new handle they gave me) bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Annex> May I say to ALL,especially any American Indian whoever, that this piece of artwork that I did totaly from my mind does in no way portrays in any authentic way the personage here shown. If in ANY WAY someone may be offended by this figure,whom I whole heartedly wanted to reflect the beautiful, human qualities of the person of NOAH SEALTH. If the information I used to base this figure on is inaccurate, this is of course something else to be considered. I did not or will not take issue in those regards. My intent I feel has been, by some, to have been completely misconstrued. Those who are reading the piece correctly have commented with that understanding.
    So,by the advice of the Moderator I place this annexrd comment..hoping to "walk more softly at the edges". Thank you. William R.Cleg

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on July 22, 2001 at 17:58.]

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

That is absolutely incredible! Determination and strength are strongly evident in his face and stance. I love it!

Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.

Hey Bill
    Nice image but you really should do some research before posting these kind of things. Noah Sealth was his christain name. He was more well known as Cheif Seattle from the state of Washington. No where near the Souix people. On your image it says that He was a Cheif of the Souix. The Souix people are from South Dakotoa. A long way from Washington. His real name is "si?al". He is from the Duwamish and Suquamish Tribes.
    http://historylink.org/output.cfm?file_id=1406
    I have done a lot of reading on the Souix people and I never heard of this Cheif. There is also much controversy as to whether si? al ever gave this speech or not. It seems to be a big hoax.
    http://www.urbanlegends.com/misc/chi...nt_speech.html
    The well known chiefs of the souix would be
    Crazy horse.
    http://www.indians.org/welker/crazyhor.htm
    Or Siting Bull
    http://www.indigenouspeople.org/natlit/sittbull.htm
    Altavista.com is a good search engine and will help you in your future research.
    http://altavista.com/
    Now you know the real story.

[This message was edited by Bruce Stawicki on July 21, 2001 at 22:46.]
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

...no less

a great picture Bill. The character you have drawn is very strong but I especially like the way you present your work -its very striking.

Brian

,,for info.

If and when I'm commisioned to do a piece of work,
    and if, as with Noah Sealth, has to be presented
    in a most precise way etc.,then I'll do that necessay research.

This is just a CREATION that I did. I had read this article in local newspaper,a 2 page spread and it
    gave those details that I mentioned. I was moved by the contents of what had occured and wanted to do MY INTERPRETATION of what this person might look like.

As a matter of fact I don't know if the Souix Indians used eagle feathers in the way that I made
    them...whether 1 or 2..with a bit of fluffy eagle down. So I do hope that any real Indian will understand this Creation. I didn't intend that evey bit&bit of the piece would depict 'authenticity'. I had this happen with some jewelry I did. I guess from now on I should just leave it as a 'piece of artwork' that I've done.

I didn't even think of questioning the article in newspaper. The fellow who wrote it has his name there as the editor of it. I would imagine that HE would have had to done some research..I don't know.

I've seen real explosive artwork depicting something historical..only from the artistic standpoint and nothing authentically historical.

I've read about a movie, whose scriptwriters said they had gotten info from such&such..however, there was someone who said that the info was incorrect. Now, for a movie I can readily understand their concern for authenticity. Yet, the copywriter said that those who questioned it see the source of info because that is what was given to them. I was NOT going to sit down and question the fellow who wrote the newspaper article unless I had some powerful reason to do so.

I just did a piece of work interpreting MY feelings of what this person would look like etc.
    No more..No less..

But I do appreciate your concern. Thank You.

wald softly at the edges..bill

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

...yep, as "Wild"Bill would say..I got the idea!
    Understand perfectly...but can't understand it's application with this piece...I said "I created an Indian depicting his noble qualities".

I understand the forum to be, as you put it 'a fun thing' with learning, sharing etc. I have found this to be true with many others on the forum and
    I respect them for this.

As I had said I read article about this noble person..Noah Sealth..is that the person? I don't
    know. Did I make a piece of artwork that belittles
    him?..FAR FROM IT. If we can't understand the GENUINE attempt to CREATE some figure reflecting those qualities then I think someones on the wrong street.

Applying what you say..DaVinci would turn over in his grave if he knew they've written 24,000 volumnes about ...Mona Lisa's SMILE! (BTW you didn't write one,,did you?)

Hey..Risto, did you do an oficial study on the noble Viking? ...do they have 'cut out eyes'. Just
    following the line of thought of the Moderatror.

Someone replied ...'determination and strength'
    is shone. That's it...that's what I wanted to portray. If the historical info that I got from news article is not correct...that's something else. But from the very start, and as I said in the inicial post...THIS MAN WAS A VERY WISE PERSON.(Did anyone see the eagle?..simbol of wisdom).

I appreciate what you SAY, but sometimes it sounds as if you're JUST SAYING it and not really wanting to Help one learn more about XARA. An example was the Jewelry I did and said 'Navajo' jewelry. The
    information that you gave me,links and all were fine. I used it and did a piece...you didn't comment on if it was more to YOUR knowledge of it. However, one xarian did...he said that it was MUCH
    CLOSER to what the Native American jewelry looks like.

(One thing I might add...Ross seems to comment very much like you. Is there some connection? I see he his a moderator, too? Just courious.)

walk softly at the edges..bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

BTW..Bruce/Gary...if you car to..
    http://www.ideal.es/waste/sealth.htm.(English) I just took a look at this...

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on July 22, 2001 at 15:27.]

Risto

Sometimes I don't get all those intellectual clashes here and there. Probably because I lack knowlede of some of the past threads. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]