Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hope I am not boring ya'll with this, but I want to make this image as good as I can.

Your comments have been very helpful. Let me know about this one.

Thanks,

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lighthouse6_2.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	15677  

Hope I am not boring ya'll with this, but I want to make this image as good as I can.

Your comments have been very helpful. Let me know about this one.

Thanks,

Randy

I really like the mood in this picture!

BTW, what is that thing in front of the ship? Looks like a seal or something, trying to enter the ship.

Hmm, one other thing when I come to think about it. Isn't the light a bit too strong - it almost look like the tower is spewing fire (that will of course keep ships away from the reef [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

-Paul
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

Randy--

The mood is beautiful, but I used to spend summers in Maine, and this boy know lighthouses [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

1.)The light shaft is too intense and not nearly long enough. The purpose of a lighthouse is to hail distant ships, and the current light is too short.

2.)A lighthouse light shaft will be hottest at its point of origin and then cool off. Pale yellow works here.

3.)A shaft will be sharp at its point of origin and then get fuzzy as a function of distance.

Forgive me, but I snagged your picture and retouched a light in to show you what I'm talking about.

....and using Photoshop post-production is NOT CHEATING. It's called "painting".

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bouton_Buffoonery.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	11913  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Paul,
    Thanks for the comments. The light might be a little intense [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. The thing on front of the ship a believe is called a wave buster(breaker).
    I did not model the ship (got it off the web at a free model site). One thing the ship should sit down in the water more.

Gary,
    Your light looks much better. I will try to improve on that next. Painting is probably the best way to go. Problem is my lack of painting skills. Notice how I screwed up the horizon trying to blur it.

Thanks
    Randy

Randy,

It took me no more than a minute to fake the lights in the scene.

BUT....I've beeen doing this kah-kah for years and part of my studies you will find in my version 6 book.

If I could sum it up all right now for you, to help you complete the piece, it would be "patience". Take it slow and let your intellect eke into what you're doing. Art is also part science, and ya gotta be part detective to see what is wrong with an image.

It's tough being a schizophrenic: the grocery bills are killers! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com