Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P7 Effects

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!! It's horrible. All the colors look washed out and the details are blurred. What happened? What did they change? Let me know what you find out. All that money for a program that prints terrible pictures.
    IP

corel knows. i'm putting together a presentation now. there are also light and dark artifacts on vector shapes. kinda like high lites and a shadow. but they are not! if you create a square shape with the shape tool and zoom in on the edges you'll see th em.

a patch is needed right now! interestingly in mac os 9 it takes about 30 seconds to launch P7. in os 10 it takes about 9-10 seconds to launch! and thats with clicking on a warning window that pops up in the middle of the launch talking about a missing ko dak extension!? amazing. the general slowness of P7 in os 9 is no doubt because of the carbonized code bogging it down. there have been lot's of warnings about this for awhile so i'm not surprised.

but this printing issue is serious.

ghi
    IP

ghi,

I'm not seeing anything on either a rectangular or oval shape in Painter 7 (it came today). Is that what you're talking about?

I'm taking notes on things and already found that some of the brushes give me an "Insufficient Memory" message when I make the brush size too large. One, I fiddled with long enough to find that 132 is the breaking point. Up to 131 everything works fine.

Most of the brushes are plenty fast and the ones that are slow are in the Brush category, not in the Watercolors which is what I've been reading complaints about... oddly enough.

I'm seeing some funny things on my screen too.. like little vertical and horizontal lines.. not part of the image, though, and they go away when I refresh the screen.

This is going to be very interesting.. seeing how Corel handles this scattering of buggies.

Hmmm....

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

ghi,

I just went back after reading your message again to see how long it took for Painter 7 to launch. It took no more than 5 seconds! Holy mackerel! Painter 6 never opened that fast.

Hmmm... again.

Jinny Brown
    IP

Five seconds is bordering on instantaneous. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

What operating system are you using?
    Win '98
    Win ME
    Win 2000

(i'm guessing that the program doesn't support win '95 but fill us in there too)

What Processor are you using?

Intel, AMD, other, and please what speed is that processor.

and how much memory does your system have.

All of that information would be very helpful to observers -- and for potential purchasers of Painter 7.

Thank you,

Athena
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Bummer that you guys are having these P7 hassles [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Those images of yours Ghi look to me like Painter ignored the 720dpi and printed at 72ppi instead.Is there any difference printing at 1440dpi?....just curious to see if it gives you what looks like 72ppi again or actually bumps up the resolution a bit at the same time,it would be one way if finding out if images are resolution dependent or not in Painter 7.

Stu.
    IP

Athena,

I was amazed too that Painter 7 loads so fast. It loaded that fast again this morning!

That may partially be due to the fact that I haven't (yet) added a lot of heavy-weight things like custom palettes containing icons for several brush libraries, large custom libraries, large custom pattern and paper libraries, etc., as I have done in Painter 6. Though I try to keep my default libraries "clean", when I have some of the custom libraries loaded Painter slows down and since they're in my normal custom layout (custom palettes open on launching Painter), it seems that makes a difference in launching speed and performance in general (slows it down).

My system specs:

Win98 SE
    Pentium III
    500 mHz
    128 MB RAM
    20 GB (non-partitioned) hard drive with about 11 GB free

Nothing special and certainly not the most powerful system available these days.

I do the following during the day/evening while I'm on the Web and simultaneously working in Painter:

Clear out browser cache frequently (depending on the sites I've visited, sometimes once an hour)

Clear out temp files at least once a day

In Painter -

Save frequently.. often in a series of files just to be safe

Every couple of hours (no more than 4 hours), shut down Painter and delete the Pre-built Brush File if it's become large. Yesterday, after 1 or 2 hours testing Painter 7's new brushes, it had grown to over 60 MB.

After several hours of heavy use (both Painter and Web sites, often 3 to 5 browser windows/sites going at the same time.. with animations flashing away), and frequently two versions of Painter open, I shut everything down clear out the files mentioned above, reboot, and start over.

At least once a week:

Defrag
    Run ScanDisk

I have three versions of Painter on my system now (uninstalled Painter Classic as there's not much to tell about it that isn't covered in the other versions and not too many people still using it (I can always install it temporarily if necessary, to answer a question.)...

Painter 5.03, Painter 6.1, and Painter 7.

Because I was a little jittery about how Painter 7 would work on my system, I was extra careful to begin things with a "clean slate".. everything cleared out and a reboot. In addition, I paid extra close attention to keeping things cleared out.

Needless to say, I am delighted that it went so well and expect that the most annoying odds and ends will be fixed pretty quickly... as was done with Painter 6 (that was a mess at first!).

Hope that info helps but since systems can be so different, it's probably wise to take it with a grain of salt and a lot of list reading until things settle down and each individual's Painter7/system are working together fairly well.

Now it'll be fun to see what we all learn to do in Painter 7. It's another new learning curve for all of us, though a lot of things in Painter are either the same or similar to Painter 6 and even Painter 5.

:

Jinny Brown
    IP

Fast loading is great, but I prefer slow loading, but good printing quality, and that is what this thread is all about. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.
    IP

jinny

just launched P7, tried the shapes tools. made some squares and found no artifacts!?

but this is what i was finding before:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	17817  
    IP

Ok Stecyk,

are these images orginating in Painter 7 then being brought back to painter 6 or are they starting in 6 and being opened in 7?

Or are you using the same creation technique in both?

Not having a copy of 7, I'm curious is this printing problem an anomaly on the Mac?

Dawn, what OS are you using? It's comforting to know that the bitmap(whatever format you took it to PhotoImpact 6) was not FUBAR --- fouled up beyond all recognition--- and you were were able to print that image satisfactorily from within PhotoImpact 6.

But it's annoying as heck to think you have to exit the program to do something as basic as print.

Jin

non partitioned hard drive !!!!

I once had a partition get totalled and the only thing that saved all my other work was the fact that I did have a partition (a wall so to speak) so the dominoes of destruction bumped into my partition and stopped there. My experiences have taught me that partitions are essential to safely protecting your information.

Erik
    heh, right about now I'm really wishing that this forum had a tree format instead of linear posting.
    I've wanted a topic tree since the inception of this forum (like the old blue background forums of yore at I-US). Sorry if it is distracting, But Infopop has never seen fit to institute topic trees. But again this isn't my nickle that is paying for these forums. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

But if having a tree format meant that they would have to wipe clean our accumulated posts . . . I'm not sure I want the tree that badly. I don't really know.

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP