Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: P7 Effects

Athena,
    I have the original as a rif but sized down and made it a jpg. I had PhotoImpact open when I read that Stecy wanted me to print it out, so I just opened the jpg and printed it. After reading further, I then opened P7 using the same jpg and printed from there.
    I have a Epson Stylus 660 which does a super job for me but the differences where appalling.
    IP

Hehe

Dawn,

I didn't clarify. my mistake. what operating system? Macintosh or Windows?

sorry for the mixup.

Athena
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

ghi,

Here are a couple of screen prints from Painter 6 and Painter 7. I printed them and even on my black and white HP Laserjet 4P, max 600 dpi, no dithering, the lines are sharp. On the Painter 6 version, the inner and outer corners are slightly "rounded" but there are no feathered pixels. On the Painter 7 version, the corner is sharp. Each of them was saved in the Painter version where it was created at Excellent quality JPEG.

http://www.pixelalley.com/painterfor...es-test-p6.jpg

http://www.pixelalley.com/painterfor...es-test-p7.jpg

The Painter 6 version looks pretty bad, doesn't it? I've been thinking it was a display problem but obviously it's not, since both were done on the same computer with the same monitor (or am I missing something?).

Athena,

Yes, I know.. and am praying that nothing disastrous happens before I can fix it.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

jinny

i'm already aware of this new feature in P7 with vector shapes being sharper at high magnifications. this was in the alpha (and the 'convert to shape' command is VASTLY improved, it's quite amazing actually). vector shapes in P6 were bitmappy on screen. but this is not what i was decribing by way of shape artifacts earlier. the artifacts seem to have disappeared for now?! i just want P7 to print properly [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

ghiˇ
    IP

stecyk66: Are you dropping everything to the canvas before printing? Obviously Painter is rasterizing at the wrong resolution...

About Partitioning: If any of you have a drive of more than a few gigabytes and you don't have it parititioned, you're just asking for trouble when something eventually goes wrong. I had a disk utility whipe out my C: partition a couple of months ago, but I lost almost nothing because I had all of my installed programs, mail/board postings, games, and working files on other paritions. I just copied over the image backup, reinstalled one or two things, and that was it. Partition your drives!

About Defrag and Scandisk: Use Nortion's utilities instead (or some other package). It's more accurate and reliable. You don't have to get the latest 2001 box, the 2000 vrs. found on some discount site will do just fine.

Doug Frost
    IP

I've been experiencing much the same print problem with Painter 7 as Stecyk and Dawnre, ie, Painter 7 seems to insist on printing my images at what looks like 72dpi, regardless of the original image resolution.

Stecyk, you said you were going to contact Corel on this matter- did you get anything helpful from them? Anyone else get the same problem?. I'm on a Mac,running OS 9.04, printing to an Epson 1290. Any help or info would be much appreciated

Rich
    IP