Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I am trying out new layout theorys constantly and I have found that frames are the most effective means to create a cool look without the use of gifs,jpgs and flash, which bog down your load time. The only prob is compatibility issues with different browsers, they can be fined tuned to work with the major browsers but this takes time.
    A good example is my site, which is literally about 90% frames.

Please let me know any ideas and theorys u have on layout!

illimite Design

I am trying out new layout theorys constantly and I have found that frames are the most effective means to create a cool look without the use of gifs,jpgs and flash, which bog down your load time. The only prob is compatibility issues with different browsers, they can be fined tuned to work with the major browsers but this takes time.
    A good example is my site, which is literally about 90% frames.

Please let me know any ideas and theorys u have on layout!

illimite Design

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elmo_tfc2:
    The only prob is compatibility issues with different browsers, they can be fined tuned to work with the major browsers but this takes time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that's not the only prob!

Frames obscure navigation by hiding a page's true URL, can make pages hard to bookmark and lead to confusion for people arriving at them through search engines or other external links unless the pages are very carefully designed. And linking to other people's sites from a frameset without a target="_blank" or target="_top" is an absolute no-no, despite being done all the time by those who don't know better!

Frames can't in themselves create a 'cool' look (it's designers that do that). Don't use them without a really good reason, because unnecessary frames are a total pain to user and designer alike!

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

I agree with Peter here...

IMHO, proper nesting, easy to follow navigation, solid theme threading, and a nice design in a good layout are almost as important as is the content...

Yesterday it was important to keep load times to under ten seconds, today, this should still be adhered to, though up to twenty seconds is still ok providing they have something to view through out the course of the load... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] This is where the proper methods of nesting come into view... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

and make no mistake... content counts for more than anything else , be it grafx or text articles, they must be updated continually...

There are many sites out there which have wonderful layouts, and have a whole host of links to information found within thier sites, but unfortunately new colums or articles only come about once per month...basically if I can find the same info at another such site, that posts new articles daily or even weekly, then chances are I go there and never look back... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If ya like surfn with frames, you can always make yourself a simple frames site to sit on your own machine, nav bar on one side opening your favs into the right or left frame ( which ever is your preference ) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

You should also know, elmo, that there is talk that the major browsers will drop support for frames in the future. If this does pass, it will be because of the very problems (and more) that the others mentioned.

[Web Design] | [Free E-Mail]
    andyjohnston.net