Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When you print a gradient fill on a postscript printer, your gradient fill comes out of the printer as a bunch of dots that get smaller and smaller in size.

I want to fake the postscript "look" in Corel Draw. Is there an easy way to do this?
    IP

When you print a gradient fill on a postscript printer, your gradient fill comes out of the printer as a bunch of dots that get smaller and smaller in size.

I want to fake the postscript "look" in Corel Draw. Is there an easy way to do this?
    IP

IP

Some old postscript printers had a low resolution. Have you checked the maximum dpi of the postscript printer you are using?
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

The highest resolution of my postscript printer is 600 dpi... BUT... I think you may have misunderstood my question.

I don't want to print on a postscript printer. I just want artwork with the look of a postscript printer so that when I put it on the web or print on a non-postscript printer, it will still have the "look" of postscript.

Originally posted by sallybode:
    Some old postscript printers had a low resolution. Have you checked the maximum dpi of the postscript printer you are using?
    IP

Sort of what I was looking for... But is there a way to do it within CorelDRAW in a vector format, rather than in a bitmap in CorelPHOTO-PAINT?

Originally posted by Sammo:
    Halftoning?

http://www.vanderlee.com/index.php?section=7&page=18
    IP

The blend tool can do that, start with a large dot, blend down however many steps to a very small dot, then accelerate the blend to your liking. Once you like what you have done, duplicate and offset the paste using the Transform docker. But if you are after a gradient side panel that will tile, you really don't need many rows of dots.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Not really a vector solution, but maybe a bitmap one which you could incorporate into your artwork... How about saving the gradient as a dithered gif file and importing it back to draw? Gradients in gif files gets converted to something like the dots you described.
    I also remember something Accesss created for Xara that might be useful in Draw, too. It's called Raster and it creates vector halftone effects.
    The search function seems to be down, so I had to manually look for Dmitry's site from his recent posts. Raster can be found here:
    http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by/raster.htm
    If you're planning to use Draw, copy the result to clipboard using Raster's button and use Edit/Paste special/Paste as metafile. Using the paste button doesn't work. Also, the vector object created is composed of a very large number of grouped shapes. Careful not to blog down Draw... Raster was designed for Xara, after all...
    IP

Absolutely perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for. Just had to convert the existing vector element, that I wanted to have the postscript look, to a bitmap... take it into the Raster program... convert it and then return it to Corel... fully vectorized postscript! Thanks!

Originally posted by Grafixman:
    Not really a vector solution, but maybe a bitmap one which you could incorporate into your artwork... How about saving the gradient as a dithered gif file and importing it back to draw? Gradients in gif files gets converted to something like the dots you described.
    I also remember something Accesss created for Xara that might be useful in Draw, too. It's called Raster and it creates vector halftone effects.
    The search function seems to be down, so I had to manually look for Dmitry's site from his recent posts. Raster can be found here:
    http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by/raster.htm
    If you're planning to use Draw, copy the result to clipboard using Raster's button and use Edit/Paste special/Paste as metafile. Using the paste button doesn't work. Also, the vector object created is composed of a very large number of grouped shapes. Careful not to blog down Draw... Raster was designed for Xara, after all...
    IP

You should be thanking Dmitry. He did the hard work and made it available for free. Spray and LVSG are other nifty programs he made that generates cool vector shapes http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/cool.gif .
    IP