Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I've created a small utility that splits files into chunks + a batch file to recombine them. There are plenty of such programs about, but I want one that works without a time-consuming dialog and doesn't require you to start again if a floppy goes down when you're spanning disks (a regular annoyance). Other uses are cutting giant text files into manageable pieces and dividing e-mail attachments so as not to force a lengthy download on someone.

Just drag and drop a file onto the icon and x-Split splits it into 'default' size chunks. The standard default is equal to the size of a high density floppy, however you can use a command line switch (via a DOS box or Windows Start > Run) to set whatever you want.

Double click the icon for brief help or see the ReadMe file for more detail.

Regards - Sean
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards - Sean

I've created a small utility that splits files into chunks + a batch file to recombine them. There are plenty of such programs about, but I want one that works without a time-consuming dialog and doesn't require you to start again if a floppy goes down when you're spanning disks (a regular annoyance). Other uses are cutting giant text files into manageable pieces and dividing e-mail attachments so as not to force a lengthy download on someone.

Just drag and drop a file onto the icon and x-Split splits it into 'default' size chunks. The standard default is equal to the size of a high density floppy, however you can use a command line switch (via a DOS box or Windows Start > Run) to set whatever you want.

Double click the icon for brief help or see the ReadMe file for more detail.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

I don't get it sean... isn't that precisely what WinZip does. I have version 7 (they're up to v9 now). You just right-click on the file in any Explorer window, click "Add to <filename>.zip" and select "disk spanning". I wouldn't call that a lengthy dialog. I don't mean to run down your obvious hard work, but aren't you re-inventing the wheel?

--
    Big Frank was
    http://www.wognum.org/files/madewithxarax.gif
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Hi Sean,

I've been needing a program like this. Using WinZip to span disks is fine, until you run into a patch of bad floppies (what can you expect from buying the cheapest brand [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] )

Thanks.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Frank,

I do quite a lot of spanning (for non-networked computers) and using a zip program is OK so long as you've got enough empty and/or good disks and everything works. If you have any kind of problem, you have to start again. Much better to zip, split and save to disk at your leisure. If there's a problem with one disk, just make another copy or overwrite one of the other disks etc.

I also need a splitter to cut up 30Meg text files into easily editable chunks. You can't do that with a zip program.

The concept isn't original and you'll probably find more comprehensive programs elsewhere (although not more compact, I suspect) - I just thought I'd share what I've created and found to be very useful.

Regards - Sean

[This message was edited by Sean Sedwards on May 02, 2001 at 03:15 PM.]
    Regards - Sean

... oh I see. It's more of a file-splitting utility than a disk-spanning utility, which is probably why you called it x-Split file splitter [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] .

Yeah, you're right, perhaps I should shut up, stick to drawing and leave the technical stuff to people like you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

(not one word from you, Gary... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] )

--
    Big Frank was
    http://www.wognum.org/files/madewithxarax.gif
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.