Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

This is something I had worked on some time ago and gave up. With the fractual explorer I felt like it developed an airy feel. I'm not sure how to finish it. I am wondering if it looks too much special effects.

Cheryl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clarrisa_With__Fractual.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	5711  
    IP

This is something I had worked on some time ago and gave up. With the fractual explorer I felt like it developed an airy feel. I'm not sure how to finish it. I am wondering if it looks too much special effects.

Cheryl
    IP

She reminds me of something that Susan Seddan Boulet would have done. I would make the dress flare out and maybe the hair too. I am working at loosening my imagination up, so I know it would be hard for me to do. But from someone looking "in" that's what I would do.

Here is a link to a retrospective book on her works. I am a bit shocked, she has passed on. I'm always the last to find this stuff out. Sigh.....go HERE

I really like the colors and the effects. It's got allot of potential. Don't give up on her.

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

First of all...great piece! I couldn't even begin to create a face [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] She's beautiful!

My post is just to exchange ideas to allow you to brainstorm what will work best for you (of course). Simply, what I tried to do is create transitions - hard and soft - that gave some depth between foreground/subject/background, then heightened the level of contrast of each of these.

I darkened the bottom to give the feel that there was an actual floor she was on, adding a palette-knife brush effect to create a stylized-wood effect.

I masked the dress, created a new object then found a pleated texture to fill it with; then I used the Whirlpool effect on it (look closely at the reds in her dress to see it).

I thought the rough outline of her dress gave off a watercolor-type look to it, so I kept it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

To try to to take away the pattern interwoven with her shawl, I duped it and merged it with divide; added a couple of objects based on its shape and added some black/white strokes, blurred them, then reduced the opacity to create a subtle shadow both over it and behind it.

I thought of a vaudeville-style curtain with the background fractal but sought to darken/deepen it to offset the brightness of her shawl; I merged an additional texture, added some noise, added a motion blur, then blended it with Multiply to darken it up a bit. I also created lines around it to offset the lighter version behind it.

Well...just tossing stuff out to allow you to play with it some more. I certainly wouldn't want you to stop working on it. Don't give up! It has all the potential of being something really special!

Good luck,

Cliff

[This message was edited by cliff on March 17, 2002 at 23:57.]
    Cliff
    IP

Well, I'm posting my rendition a second time so I hope it doesn't double-post. Here we go...

Cliff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_OpenTopic.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	15819  
    Cliff
    IP

Thanks Cliff and RAMwolff for good comments. I really appreciate your input.

RAMwolff, the dress does need some flare now I can see it. Thank you for the link to Susan Seddan Boulet. I really enjoyed the picture. I spent some time looking at it.

Cliff, I think your version is great! I really like the contrasts you created. The floor reminds me of natural slate in texture and color variation. I do think the background wall needs to fade or be desaturated some from the floor up it seems to be competing for attention. The filter gave the dress a nice tye dye look. I would like the figure to have more hard and soft edges but I see what you mean by the watercolor look.

I have a lot of ideas now to rework this. Thanks
    again!

Cheryl
    IP