Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Perspective

I'm currently working on my first architect piece as a side project. I'm having a little trouble with the perspective though. I'm doing 2 point and don't know the technique that would allow me to make a wall slanting in or out from another. I think I'll be able to make it look that way, but I wonder if there's any special rule/technique that says how to do it. Hope the pic. below will help explain. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Steve Newport
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	perspective.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	16781  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

in your ground-rectangle and then decide how far you go in our out. The cornerpoint will always be on the same diagonal line as the original.
    Decide the vertical height, and draw a rectangle on this height in the same persp. view. Then draw a line from the corner ground-slanting point to the corner of the normal width second rectangle point.
    If necessary I'll make a pic, but I have verrry little time, so I hope this helps.

yea, I think I understand, but still am a little confused. I picture would be nice whenever you have the time. Also, how would I go about finding the correct elliptical size of a circle in this way!? I am very gratefull for your help, thanks a lot!

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Steve

Xara can help with some of the drawing the rest is up to you.

Instead of plotting all your lines to your vanishing points, create a left and right side elevation drawing.

Reduce the width of both sides to about 80% to compensate for foreshortening.

Group each elevation. Select the Mould Tool andn then apply a Right Perspective Envelope to the left elevation. (It will look awful). Drag the vanishing point to your left vanishing point on the horizon line.

Apply a Left Perspective Envelope to the right side (I know the names are confusing) and drag the vanishing point to the right vanishing point.

Select each side one at a time and Convert to Editable Shapes (Arrange menu) to disable the envelope function and then Ungroup twice.

Select the top shape and using the Shape Editor Tool bevel the top and then the bottom cornice. Repeat this on the right.

Notice how the narrow ellipses in the first illustration now look like true circles in the last illustration. This is why I said to reduce the width to 80%. This figure will vary depending upon how severe your perspective is.

This help?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Even So Humble...

Name:	perspective.gif 
Views:	371 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	15240  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Steve - If I understand your question correctly, the answer is quite simple but I'll have to explain it in a round about way. I take it that the diagonal line going up and down that you've circled is the one you are unsure about. The building has a "base" that splays back to the main wall surface above - correct?

The way I'd determine the position of the line envolves working with imaginary lines. In traditional drafting they are called "construction" lines and are actually drawn on the paper with an almost invisible lineweight (I used to use a very sharp 6h pencil). In this case I think what you have to do is imagine the main wall surfaces extending down to the ground. You can (and probably should) draw them that way temporarily. Now, where the wall planes meet the ground plane you will have lines. When you draw the splayed base's groundlines they will be offset from those lines. Draw them parallel to the wall plane's groundlines - or at least almost parallel in that they should be directed to the vanishing points. Position the base's groundlines to where they look appropriately offset.

The next step is to have lines that are the top of the slope of the splayed base. Draw them as if they are "parallel" (but in perspective) to the wall planes' groundlines. You then just draw a line from the corner of the splayed base's groundlines to the intersection where the lines representing the top of the slope meet at the corner. At this point you can edit out or hide the lines of the original wallplanes that are "behind" the splayed base. If you positioned the groundline of the splayed base appropriately, then the last line you drew will be correct.

Sometimes, especially early in the drawing process, the lines may appear wrong. Generally the more lines you draw, the more the sense of perspective is reinforced and those lines that seemed wrong start looking more and more appropriate.

In conclusion, drawing perspectives often require going back to "first principles". Traditionally perspectives are said to be "constructed" because of the need to establish the relationships of all the various planes and elements. In my experience, the most expiditious way to draw a perspective is to draw it relatively quickly on paper. When I'm happy with the basics, I scan it in and put it on a locked layer and draw in xara over it.

Good Luck.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Name:	splayedwall.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	9918  

In my above example - I should note that if the corner of the building is centered between the two vanishing points, then the corner line of the splayed base will be vertical. (Provided the slopes of the splayed base are the same on both building elevations).

Also please note the method I describe is used when drawing sloped roofs. It also is the basis of "perspective grid" underlays you can buy as drawing aids for pencil perspectives. (I like them - they really help with difficult perspectives).

Regards, Ross

If you want the base to be recessed then the same basic approach can be used...

Regards, Ross

Name:	splayedwall2.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	12390  

Wow guys, I could not have asked for a better response! Both of your tips have helped me greatly. I'm gonna start over now (wasn't that fer anyway) and hopefully use this advice to it's fullest! I think this would be a nice addition to the "tips & tricks" page. Thanks again! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Glad we could help Steve.

If I only had Xara when I was going to art school (somewhere back in the ice age) I would have done better in Perspective 1 and 2 :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Even So Humble...