Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Can anyone help me with a dull reflection in C4D V6?

I have a cube with a sphere in front of it. The cube has 100% reflection applied. So that the ball is sharply reflected in it. Now I want to make the cube like a dull metal so that you just see a fuzzy ball for a reflection. (see attachment I created in XaraX).

I've tried dropping the % reflection, but that just gives a faded sharp reflection. I've tried applying a solid gray diffusion image. This seem to do the same as dropping the % reflection.

I've tried using the solid gray image as a relection image and applying softness to it.

I think its a combination of all these, but I thought I'd ask the experts here at TG.

Turan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	8110  

Here is the Xara file. I used XPE to blur the image, sliced and used the reflection, removed the rest, some overall image adjustment using just a filled white square overlay and adjust transparency to brighten the image, I added another slice/noise fill and another with yellow tint.

I'm sure you can do much better with the original files.

You might be right on the trying to hard bit.

Here is one of the cards I created.

Turan

Name:	card.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	12042  

Good advice Mike really good...

I sure do like the couple click approach found in the later C4D versions though... sure does save quite a few steps along the way

I have a feeling that Jens is working with version 7 something, and thus, as Jens has demonstrated, this blur fx is pretty straight forward as the relection options are available in said version...

but, said same options do not appear to be in V6 as shown by this pic of V6 reflection options. In fact the blur and/or mix strength options are not available unless you choose a texture image... this is not the case with the later versions

Name:	c4d6reflection.gif 
Views:	355 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	124  

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Turan,

maybe this is what you are looking for. Be prepared for increased rendering times!

This is a standard shader, I'm running this in German on this particular machine, so check your version and use the parameters in 'reflections'.

Name:	turan-reflection01.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	17886  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

hey hey, looks great Turan

and it looks like you got the reflection happening

What were the settings, and did you stick with v6?

Hey, your welcome Turan, though I must suggest that this was all Jens here... he came up with the method, that was so easy to set up with these later versions...

I still think that Mike is bang on with his examples, and instead of red ball example, if this reflection map method was used as seen in your metal on the circut board example, that perhaps things just might work for you

and yea, v6 is pretty decent all in all eh... I mean perhaps it lacks some of the modeling tools that v8 and up have on board, but for final smoothes via hypernurbs, and rendering it is one very handy app to have around for sure

yea, maybe do a straight reflection render with out any blur, put this into you fav 2d editing app, grab that area, put a bit of blur, feather etc to it, save as image file, and then assign this as reflection image for that final render...

... keep us posted

Can anyone help me with a dull reflection in C4D V6?

I have a cube with a sphere in front of it. The cube has 100% reflection applied. So that the ball is sharply reflected in it. Now I want to make the cube like a dull metal so that you just see a fuzzy ball for a reflection. (see attachment I created in XaraX).

I've tried dropping the % reflection, but that just gives a faded sharp reflection. I've tried applying a solid gray diffusion image. This seem to do the same as dropping the % reflection.

I've tried using the solid gray image as a relection image and applying softness to it.

I think its a combination of all these, but I thought I'd ask the experts here at TG.

Turan

Thanks gidgit - sorry you could not help - get the impression you don't like C4D as you preferred package, so I appreciate your trying.

Mike, As you showed with your first image the the ball is faded/ligth, but it still has a very sharp edge.

Your 2nd looks better, not sure what an SLA shader is as I type this, but I'll check it out. I think I'll have to play with the settings as it seems a bit pixilated.

I picked a ball and cube as an example, I'm drawing a complex circuit board with some dull (aluminium, I think) connectors that give a dull faded reflection of other components - so to re-work in Xara or PS would be time consuming - thaqt and I'm one of those die-hards that likes to do as much as I can in one tool.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Turan