Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can anyone help me with a dull reflection in C4D V6?

I have a cube with a sphere in front of it. The cube has 100% reflection applied. So that the ball is sharply reflected in it. Now I want to make the cube like a dull metal so that you just see a fuzzy ball for a reflection. (see attachment I created in XaraX).

I've tried dropping the % reflection, but that just gives a faded sharp reflection. I've tried applying a solid gray diffusion image. This seem to do the same as dropping the % reflection.

I've tried using the solid gray image as a relection image and applying softness to it.

I think its a combination of all these, but I thought I'd ask the experts here at TG.

Turan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	8110  

Can anyone help me with a dull reflection in C4D V6?

I have a cube with a sphere in front of it. The cube has 100% reflection applied. So that the ball is sharply reflected in it. Now I want to make the cube like a dull metal so that you just see a fuzzy ball for a reflection. (see attachment I created in XaraX).

I've tried dropping the % reflection, but that just gives a faded sharp reflection. I've tried applying a solid gray diffusion image. This seem to do the same as dropping the % reflection.

I've tried using the solid gray image as a relection image and applying softness to it.

I think its a combination of all these, but I thought I'd ask the experts here at TG.

Turan

Ha ha, I tried out a few things up to and even including motion blur tagging, and I fell short... Worked on this puzzle for about an hour and to no avail... so ole gidge does not qualify to be a C4D expert by any means

We need more C4D experts around here... did I just say that ? haha, really funny

But hey, I sure hope that someone figures this out, because it looks so simple, and most probably is, and it would sure be some handy info to learn about

I don't know exactly what your after.
    I am using C4D v8, For the cube I made a new material, color light blue 100%, I mixed a texture (image) into the color, strength 8%

Reflection, color white, brightness 16%.
    Specular, W 30%, H 98%

Check out the tutorials for ver 6, there is a good deal of info about materials, try the indoor scene lamp base material.

Here is another C4D reflection with an SLA shader.

A few more reflections. bump channel, noise, 1% or less.

If you are making a still image you can post work it in Xara, photoshop, etc... Slice, dice, combine and layer until it looks the way you want it to look.

Oh, by the way, I don't know where the experts you mentioned are, but I hope we can help in some small way.

Thanks gidgit - sorry you could not help - get the impression you don't like C4D as you preferred package, so I appreciate your trying.

Mike, As you showed with your first image the the ball is faded/ligth, but it still has a very sharp edge.

Your 2nd looks better, not sure what an SLA shader is as I type this, but I'll check it out. I think I'll have to play with the settings as it seems a bit pixilated.

I picked a ball and cube as an example, I'm drawing a complex circuit board with some dull (aluminium, I think) connectors that give a dull faded reflection of other components - so to re-work in Xara or PS would be time consuming - thaqt and I'm one of those die-hards that likes to do as much as I can in one tool.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Turan

Haha, I am not going there...

but yea, no biggy, your most welcome... it was a fun hour in exploring for sure... warmed up my mind enough that I actually went outside and completed my wood tool shed... so I am a happy fellow, and my wife is pleased with me..

Mike is pretty close with the second example I think, just the bumping could be "blurred" more...

The durn property manager should enable yas to drag a motion blur onto a reflection... or something like that...

Still trying to get the right effect in C4D v6.

Here is a photo of the effect I'm trying to get to.

Turan

Name:	reflection.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	15637  

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Turan,

maybe this is what you are looking for. Be prepared for increased rendering times!

This is a standard shader, I'm running this in German on this particular machine, so check your version and use the parameters in 'reflections'.

Name:	turan-reflection01.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	17886  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--