Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

GIMP (gnu image manipulation program) is a free graphics program. It has lots of nice features, but its interface takes a little getting used to.

GIMP Homepage
    GIMP for Windows

Here's some screen shots:

GIMP Screenshots

[This message was edited by glyph on December 23, 2002 at 23:40.]

GIMP (gnu image manipulation program) is a free graphics program. It has lots of nice features, but its interface takes a little getting used to.

GIMP Homepage
    GIMP for Windows

Here's some screen shots:

GIMP Screenshots

[This message was edited by glyph on December 23, 2002 at 23:40.]

I found the GIMP interface to be very non-intuitive and twitchy, and the output to be substandard compared with PS or Xara X.

The worst thing was having to go so deeply into various menus and sub-menus to do many actions. That was where the twitchiness became very annoying to me. Using a huge menu structure is the Achilles heel of this program, IMO.

The GIMP interface needs to be redesigned from scratch and the output needs to be improved considerably. Jpeg and gif output was horrible when I tried it.

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

I really like the fact that Linux has SOMETHING that works well but the menu system is crapy. Just MHO!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

When I was involved heavily into Linux a year and a half ago and was compeled to learn the Gimp, I bought a Gimp manual and it is very full of lots of features but, as you say, the menus hide so much of it, not intuitive at all. I still have that book, it's published by Peachpit Press. It's over 300 pages and it's well written by Phyllis Davis.

So if they were to at least create an interface that gave the user some options (A 'Windows' style or the traditional Gimp interface) then I would give another try to see what I could do with it. But for now, with this guys unwillingness to budge into this area (he has been approached about it before and said flat out NO to a 'Windows' styled interface) I won't bother again!!

Just my .20¢

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

it is annoying to have to navigate the menus the way the interface is......it would be nice if it was more configurable. i'm suprised that someone hasn't built a custom version with a layout more similar to commercial graphics programs, (since it's open source), i keep looking for the 'new flavor'.

the last time i ran gimp on windows, it was not worth the trouble as the program would lock up frequently; it seems to be more stable now but a couple of filters (conical anamorphose, fixer)caused the gimp to close. for the money, its a good download, if only for the filters and having something new to play with.