Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have an outside salesman whose customer uses an advertising agency to
    develop their art. I assume they will be Mac files. We are hidden from the
    customer, so I cannot talk directly with them. The outside salesman won't
    allow it.
    I need to tell them how to save their file of a 8x10 photo & copy, so I can
    import it into Corel9(SP1 & SP2).
    I will be printing out 4 Color Process seps on an Xante ScreenWriter3 PS3.
    600dpi , 55line for T-shirt printing.

How do they save their file for me to import?
    --
    Thank you,
    KH
    IP

I have an outside salesman whose customer uses an advertising agency to
    develop their art. I assume they will be Mac files. We are hidden from the
    customer, so I cannot talk directly with them. The outside salesman won't
    allow it.
    I need to tell them how to save their file of a 8x10 photo & copy, so I can
    import it into Corel9(SP1 & SP2).
    I will be printing out 4 Color Process seps on an Xante ScreenWriter3 PS3.
    600dpi , 55line for T-shirt printing.

How do they save their file for me to import?
    --
    Thank you,
    KH
    IP

Hi Karen:
    You would be much better served if you went to the Corel News groups for answers to this and other questions you may . It is much more active there. In answer to your question, get them to save as an eps file with all fonts (if any converted to outlines). The Corel news groups are: cnews.corel.ca
    Greg
    IP

First, all bitmap formats are platform-independent, so you can get the picture portion into Corel easily enough. You may need to rename it to give it an extension. Mac bitmap files often have extensions already.

Second, and as you may or may not be aware, Corel can open and/or import print-language files, including PS, EPS, PRN, PDF and WMF, and such files are (almost) independent of any operating system so you can open a Mac-generated EPS (for instance) in Windows Corel. Please beware of the following potential glitches:

(In the following notes, print-language files are called plf's.)

1) Contrary to popular legend, there are only two minor differences between Mac and Windows plf's: First, if the plf has a preview, the Mac's will be 72-dpi while the Windows will be 96-dpi, because those are the resolutions of Mac and Windows monitors. However, the preview has nothing to do with how the file will print.

2) The second difference is that a Mac plf includes file-format information in the header that the Mac Finder needs to identify the file, while Windows depends on the extension, if any. You can get around this in either direction by opening, rather than importing or double-clicking on the file.

3) Indeed, always Open rather than Import plf's. If the plf is not corrupt, it will open with Corel. It won't necessarily import. Once you get it open, you can drag the stuff into any existing document.

4) As Greg noted, having the sender convert fonts to curves is the simplest option, assuming it doesn't involve a massive amount of text.

5) When having the sender convert fonts to curves is impractical, you can have them provide a plf with embedded fonts. With some plf formats, Corel will allow you to substitute during open but sometimes you'll simply get your default font. (Note that no program will embed a font that it is not legal to embed and no program will warn you about this. It simply leaves out the font.)

6) If you open a plf with text as text, it will have been broken up into chunks. For instance, this sentence might be broken into "For i" and "nstanc" and "e, thi" etc. You can recombine this mess back into sentences by doing a combine, being careful to shift-select in the order of reading, both from left to right and from top to bottom. This can be a burdensome process, but is sometimes the best option. Once you get the text recombined, you can change the font, etc. to match a printout provided by the customer.

7) Besides breaking text into chunks, plf generators usually break graphics into slices. Often, this is noticeable only when viewing the Corel file in Wireframe. The only way to prevent this is: If the file originates in Mac Illustrator or FreeHand then have them provide an Illustrator 7 file, which Corel can also open. (It is because Illustrator is so feature-poor and therefore universally openable that it remains the "industry standard.")
    IP

I knew you'd be the best resource, Thanks Ziggy. You understand production output. I'm going to print this one out & keep until I retire in 15yrs.
    (Corel 26)

This is the response from Corel group:
    Michael Cervantes, C-Tech Volunteer wrote:

TIFF is the file format. Now the problem is if you can read the removable media they are going to send to you. Try if they can burn a CD in ISO-9660 Mode 1:CDROM, you should have not problem.

This way you can read the Mac CD without using an additional application as Here&Now, or Mac Opener.

Michael's answer is good & he was fast, but it didn't make me as educated as yours Ziggy...I want to understand what & why I'm asking a customer to submit certain formats.

KH

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP