Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have a problem with drop shadows:
    After exporting to e.g. tif (which by the way takes ages - about 15 mins for an a4 drawing at 200 dpi) drop shadows appear in a slightly different position than in the original xara drawing.

Are these bugs (the slow export and the shadow problem) or have I made some sort of mistake?

Ernst

I have a problem with drop shadows:
    After exporting to e.g. tif (which by the way takes ages - about 15 mins for an a4 drawing at 200 dpi) drop shadows appear in a slightly different position than in the original xara drawing.

Are these bugs (the slow export and the shadow problem) or have I made some sort of mistake?

Ernst

I don't think the very slow export is a bug, nor the difference between a shadowed object and its exported version.

I think drop shadows don't have a definitive dpi resolution. There is allways a little difference when you convert your shadowed object to shapes, because then the shadow becomes a bitmap by default at a 96 dpi resolution.
    There is a setting which can increase this resolution in "Utilities/Options/View/Bitmaps/DPI when auto generated".

Thus if you want no surprise, before exporting that should be useful:

1. save your document with the shadows as shadows if you think you will have to use and modify it again;

2. change the DPI resolution of auto generated bitmaps;

3. convert your shadowed objects to shapes.

and before or after exporting:

4. eventually rename your document to save the actual copy with object converted to shapes.

If you find it remain a little difference you can also try this one when your object is converted to shapes:

open the bitmap gallery; select the bitmap which correspond to your shadow; click on "properties" and uncheck "smooth when scaled up".

Regards,

ivan

Great Ivan, thanks for your advice concerning my drop shadow question.
    I tried it and it works fine now.

Regards

Ernst