Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Xara

Hey,
    Basically i was wondering what Xara is?
    I had a quick look at their site, and from that i gather it is a web vector graphics creation program.
    How does it compare to Fireworks and Freehand?
    Is it the best program for creating interfaces?
    is it easy to use?
    thanks in advance,
    Chuck
    IP

Hey,
    Basically i was wondering what Xara is?
    I had a quick look at their site, and from that i gather it is a web vector graphics creation program.
    How does it compare to Fireworks and Freehand?
    Is it the best program for creating interfaces?
    is it easy to use?
    thanks in advance,
    Chuck
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Chuck - Visit the Xara Forum and the Xara Gallery Forum to learn more about Xara and what users do with it. As well visit The XaraXone. It's really cool interface was done in Xara. My own website was created with xara for the graphics and dreamweaver for the coding.

You are right about Xara being vector illustration software but it is an all-purpose application ie. it is not specifically oriented towards web graphics although it is good for that. It is noted for its very fast screen redraws (that allow for interactive applications of things like transparency and bevel effects) and for its clean straight-forward interface that makes learning and using the program relatively easy. The tools are extremely flexible - most anything you could ever want to draw can be accomplished in Xara. I've used it likely over 3000 hours and have had very few hours (maybe 2 or three) of frustration. I find it a joy to use. It is very proficient working with bitmaps and has an amazing transpariency tool. It is very easy to create impressive text effects - that don't look like they were created with vector illustration software. I attach an example I created...

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lead.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	16331  
    IP

Yeah it looks cool, so i went and got the demo and had a quick play, it looks like it could be very useful and i'll probably use it a lot.
    chuck
    IP