Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Size question

Hi friends,
    I checked the flash I created on different monitor size and I realized on the big screen the size is off and want to know what standard I didn't consider that my flash banner be match with any monitor size? am I clear? I mean the flash image's width is not match with some monitor width when you see the website.

Please see the site I tested in different monitor size.

http://www.globalelitesolutions.com/

Thanks,
    Elahe
    IP

Hi friends,
    I checked the flash I created on different monitor size and I realized on the big screen the size is off and want to know what standard I didn't consider that my flash banner be match with any monitor size? am I clear? I mean the flash image's width is not match with some monitor width when you see the website.

Please see the site I tested in different monitor size.

http://www.globalelitesolutions.com/

Thanks,
    Elahe
    IP

Elahe
    Monitor size (or more correctly Display Resolution) is always going to be a problem when creating swf files, banners or web sites.
    Currently around 30% of monitors still operate under 800 x 600 pixel resolution (so to view your banner the visitor with this resolution is going to have to horizontaly scroll)
    One way around this is to set your publish settings to 'percent' instead of 'match movie', but unfortunately this also creates cross browser problems. (The main one currently being that Firefox renders the swf about quarter size).
    Up until now I've always created my swf's for 800 x 600 screen resolution, but I've recently abandoned this and now create for 1024 x 768 resolution. There comes a time when you have to decide to alter your thinking on these matters.

Here's a link to a site created at 800 x 600 but set to percent to scale to any browser window size regardless of resolution. It works fine in IE & Netscape navigator but pant's in Firefox. (I've scince found a workaround but it's a pain in the ass)

Regards
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

But surely Egg this is because you published the whole site bar the splash page in Flash and not in HTML. The work around is to export it into Dreamweaver or the like and construct the site there. Doing that might take you longer but the site will meet all the current regs. and be more accessable to everyone. Also using CSS you will be able to update the site using a different style sheet and also be able to meet all the different browsers criteria. If the site is aimed at the home market then it is stll sensible to produce it with the 800 pixel width as people really do not like scrolling. Why take the chance of someone clicking out of your site just because you like the look of it in 1024 width.

As Elahe site looks as it is aimed at the Biz. section of the market I would say that the Flash header does not need to be changed.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

But surely Egg this is because you published the whole site bar the splash page in Flash and not in HTML.
    Sorry Albacore, I can't understand this line.

I must admit that I create my sites TOTALY in Flash and avoid mixing SWF and HTML.

Could you explain your point in a bit more detail?

Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

The splash page comes up as HTML as that is the way that exporting Flash site works. In Firefox the first page is the correct size but after entering the site, the page is displayed about quarter of its correct size making it un-usable for Firefox users. This size problem is going to alienate this up and coming browser with all of its users, to your work and with the percentage of IE user falling and more and more people using alternative browsers either Macromedia or your good self should change.

The other point I was trying to make is that if you publish your site in dreamweaver or some other editor you can take the advantage of quickly changing the look of the site and make updates far easier than you can in Flash and conform to all of the current regs.

But we are not discussing the Elahe problem which is the size either 800 and whither to centre it or do the full 1024. I did a fair amount of research using a few of the usual search engines and the statistics state that over 72% of Biz. machines are set up for 1024 and that was done in 2002 and there must be more by now so she is right to configure her site out to that size if her main user target is the Biz clients.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Sorry Albacore
    I'm with you now. You are correct the Splash page is pure HTML (I do this for search engine purposes) The other pages are Flash generated html which Firefox doesn't handle well. The site was created before Firefox was really a browser of contention. I've got a work around now but it's a bit of a pain and it also messes up Navigators display slightly.

I now create my sites at 1024 fixed width, with a second site as a percentage for 800 users. No additional work required.

All my sites are dynamic and the client can update them on line from the web site, so I rarely need to return to Flash to edit them. I also like the fact that a Font can be embedded so you can guarentee all visitors can see the site exactly as you intended.

For current resolutions / browser useage see here

Egg
    Egg

IP

Guys,
    Still I am confused and after reading all those and can't ready figure out what my problem is and how can I fix it?(screen resolution is 1024 * 768)

Thanks for the help,
    Elahe
    IP