Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A friend who has an older Macintosh visited a web site I just completed and said he cannot read any of the type except for one line on the Contact Us page.

If it is not asking too much, can you visit
    PlacitasHomes.com and tell me if you have any trouble reading the text.

And if you have problems can you tell me the browser and version you are using (e.g. Internet Explorer 5.5, Netscape 6.x, etc.)

I really appreciate it.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

A friend who has an older Macintosh visited a web site I just completed and said he cannot read any of the type except for one line on the Contact Us page.

If it is not asking too much, can you visit
    PlacitasHomes.com and tell me if you have any trouble reading the text.

And if you have problems can you tell me the browser and version you are using (e.g. Internet Explorer 5.5, Netscape 6.x, etc.)

I really appreciate it.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I'm running 1280x1024 on a 19" monitor. The red text appears very legible to me - I can imagine some folks would find it small.

I find your mouseover colour on the links makes them hard to read.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

I am using IE6 on a 17in. monitor set at 1024X768 with text set to medium. All of the text is very clear. The links are purple on my screen and turn sky blue on mouseover which makes them a little hard to read.Nice design on the web site.
    I did find one other thing.The description of the lot under new listings is missing.
    Mike

[This message was edited by weldorman on August 18, 2002 at 21:06.]

No problem with the text at all. The text, by comparison to a XaraX screen, appears as an Arial type font @ 10 point (very crisp).

IE 6, 21" monitor 1600 x 1200, but views fine at 800 x 600.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Hi Gary,

the site is looking excellent with Opera 6.04 and MSIE 5.5 on 1024 x 768 and 1600 x 1200 screens. Colors are perfect as well as legibility.

Conclusion: don't worry about the site, the problem is inside the Macs ;-}

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hi Gary
    It looks just fine on a PC - I just tried it on my old Mac, a PowerPC 7600/132 and - fine with MSIE5 and Opera 5, but Netscape 4.5 ....well I confess I have never seen anything like it. The text is certainly unreadable and it looks, well..SMEARED. Now we all know that NS4 is a bit of a kludge, but your code has really broken it this time. I am intrigued by this. Will investigate further.
    Cheers
    James

Hello Gary, I'm using Mozilla 1.0, at 1280 x 1024, and have no trouble reading the text or viewing the photographs.
    I agree with weldorman, the links are hard to read when the mouse is over them, but otherwise it is fine. I had always planned to retire to Dunkeld (a very picturesque part of Scotland), but Placitas is looking good!
    Mike

Michael J. Sims

Gary - just had a look at the code. What I think is happening here is that your stylesheet is a bit too ambitious for NS4. CSS has always been a bit of a stumbling block for early NS. Having said that I just checked it on another PC running NS4.08 and it looks fine. So it would seem to be a Mac issue.
    The number of people using early software on old machines is v.small, but might be significant. You cannot use javascript to sniff 'em out either. I'd suggest you options are:
    a>ignore it
    b>use a heavy-duty detector like browserhawk
    c>try tweaking the stylesheet - in particular replace instances where the text size is declared as xxsmall for instance with an actual value in pixels. I'd try the last option first.
    Hope this helps some
    Cheers

James it sounds as if you nailed it.

Maybe if I turn off the CSS? Except that will make it load slower for other browsers.

What to do, what to do?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone