Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm using XaraX (1.0c CD) to generate some fairly big maps (1 x 1.7 metres @ 300 dpi - 20086x12288pixels), which need to delivered as Tiffs.

For some inexplicable reason, PhotoShop 5 refuses to parse an AI/EPS file that XaraX creates (- any idea why?) so, I'm outputting the image directly as a Tiff file from XaraX.

When I come to export the Tiff, Xara complains that the image is too big and gives me the following error:

"The bitmap width that was entered or has been calculated is invalid. It must be a positive, non-zero number less than 16384 pixels."

Clicking on Help, I get the following advice:

------------------------------------------
    The bitmap you are trying to create is too large. You can export bitmaps up to 16,000 by 16,000 pixels.
    What can I do?
    By making some changes to your configuration, you can install a new XaraDraw module that will allow you to export bitmaps up to 32,000 pixels by 32,000 pixels. Upgrading the program to this new limit will mean Xara X uses another 2Mb of RAM. It is not recommended unless you need to create bitmaps this large and your machine has enough RAM.

To increase the bitmap export size

1. Close down Xara X.
    2. Go to the folder where you installed Xara X.
    3. Rename the 'xaradraw.dll' file to 'xdsmall.dll'
    4. Rename the 'xdlarge.dll' file to 'xaradraw.dll'

To reverse the change either do this again, reversing steps 3 & 4 or reinstall Xara X.

Ooh... Xara will use a whole extra 2Mb of RAM, I can see why this isn't the default! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The problem is, there is no 'xdlarge.dll' file!

What happens when I want to make something even bigger? Does Xara have any plans to release a 'xdVERYlarge.dll' which will really push the boat out and demand an extra 4Mb?

I think this particular help file is a dusty corner that no-one has looked in since Xara1 and the days when 2Mb was a big deal!

Any help appreciated!

I'm using XaraX (1.0c CD) to generate some fairly big maps (1 x 1.7 metres @ 300 dpi - 20086x12288pixels), which need to delivered as Tiffs.

For some inexplicable reason, PhotoShop 5 refuses to parse an AI/EPS file that XaraX creates (- any idea why?) so, I'm outputting the image directly as a Tiff file from XaraX.

When I come to export the Tiff, Xara complains that the image is too big and gives me the following error:

"The bitmap width that was entered or has been calculated is invalid. It must be a positive, non-zero number less than 16384 pixels."

Clicking on Help, I get the following advice:

The bitmap you are trying to create is too large. You can export bitmaps up to 16,000 by 16,000 pixels.
    What can I do?
    By making some changes to your configuration, you can install a new XaraDraw module that will allow you to export bitmaps up to 32,000 pixels by 32,000 pixels. Upgrading the program to this new limit will mean Xara X uses another 2Mb of RAM. It is not recommended unless you need to create bitmaps this large and your machine has enough RAM.

To increase the bitmap export size

1. Close down Xara X.
    2. Go to the folder where you installed Xara X.
    3. Rename the 'xaradraw.dll' file to 'xdsmall.dll'
    4. Rename the 'xdlarge.dll' file to 'xaradraw.dll'

To reverse the change either do this again, reversing steps 3 & 4 or reinstall Xara X.

Ooh... Xara will use a whole extra 2Mb of RAM, I can see why this isn't the default! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The problem is, there is no 'xdlarge.dll' file!

What happens when I want to make something even bigger? Does Xara have any plans to release a 'xdVERYlarge.dll' which will really push the boat out and demand an extra 4Mb?

I think this particular help file is a dusty corner that no-one has looked in since Xara1 and the days when 2Mb was a big deal!

Any help appreciated!

We will have a look at this problem and see if we can resolve it for the forthcoming patch.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

I'll look forward to the patch [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

(I got round the problem by going back to Xara 2 and exporting from that, luckily I wasn't using any of the cool new suff in XaraX!)

Hmmmm.... snort...grumble [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Mark,

wow, this would be fantastic if you will offer an option for larger exports formats!

Count me in, even if XARA will charge extra for this 'plug-in'.

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Most of my layouts are measured in feet - yards - miles - cubits.....

count me in for larger output.

Wayne Kilgore
    Guam USA
    new Xara billboard guy

Xara can support large page sizes already and doesn't seem to be a restriction on people, the limitation we are discussing here is the limit on the number of pixels in an exported bitmap such as TIFF. Is the clamour here to up the limit for the pixel dimesions substantially ? I would be interested in the more extreme requirements of bitmap export. Who out there has the biggest pixel dimension requirements?

Mark Goodall
    Xard Ltd

Mark,
    I don't know about the biggest, but I have to print a tiff to 24ft. by 2ft. (single pannel) at 100 dpi on Tuesday of next week. I posted the layout and picture of a smaller one (19ft x 14in.) in the "It ain't art but it is Xara" thread last week. I was able to do some of it in Xara but the final layout was in Corel's Photo Paint due to the pixel size (22,960 x 1400).

Regards,
    Wayne Kilgore
    Guam USA

Greetings All,
    I'm re-posting my 12-15-00 missive, hoping that this interest in large images will lead to interest in large color reduction possibilities. AND, if any Xara coders are reading this, give me a clue: which algorithm for the 16 color reduction??? (I'm guessing Floyd-Steinberg Bidirectional)...Tad
    THE POST:As some of you know, I have been whining for years about Xara’s polite *Not Enough Memory Is Available To Complete The Task* messages. Well, after experimentation ,,,,,,(I am amazed that I figured something out) re. Xara/16bit color reduction & file size. Seems that the max WIDTH is 1324 pixels. Whereas, I have gone up to 12,000 pixels in HEIGHT (45.5meg) and it works. Now to discover whether squished images (sized without constraining proportions) can be dithered then resized with any semblance of order. YES, I took a 1280x960pix file and stretched it to 1324x4000, then dithered & resized to original. Proportions intact. This probably means that a 600dpi printer could handle any oddities in a 150ppi file, but I wonder. Bizarre things are happening...like red shifts and images not being printed in proper paper position (XaraX, CorelXara prints ok).
    But, I am closer to my goal of printing a 3 foot x 5 foot Xara image, with *Pre-Stochastic screening* (my term). Why ??? Because we should be able to. We might even want to print automotive acrylic lacquer directly on canvass. (such printers exist)....Regards,,,,,,,Tad