Erik, I am not really sure what you mean by 4,4,4. I sort of remember another ap doing this...maybe it was Xara. (?)

But in any respect, you have TREMENDOUS control over how images are saved to gif or jpegs. Both of these file types are controlled by sliders. The jpeg slider for instance offers you the complete range from high quality/low compression to low quality/high compression. And you can view the effects before you save the file.

But best of all is the control you get when using image ready (that comes with PS6). You can control the colour tables easily and have colours snap to their web safe equivalents with very little effort. Then you can slice up images and image ready will write the code necessary to keep everything alligned in a table for you.

Here is one thing I just did in imageready/photoshop:
http://www.artifax-design.com/client/contents.html

I could select the various slices (which translate into HTML cells in a table) and compress them according to the content. This comprised of gifs with varying degrees of compression. Lots of cells have a transparent giff in them. To do this in IR, you select the slice and select 'no image'. This really helps to reduce total file size. Other slices are giffs with only 2 colours, while others have 4, 8 and a couple have 32 colours. You can go higher too if you want, but in this case there was little loss of quality by reducing the colours in the gif. And any of the colours in the colour table can be set to snap to web safe colours. You can even save a colour table and use that for what ever slices you want.

The tables are not just limited to gifs. You can have a combination with jpegs as well and you can also individually control how each slice will compress.

And all this while getting an on screen representation of the optimized file. Similar to Xara's setup, you can view 2up or 4up compression schemes to compare file size and image quality.

I really like this. Mouseovers and animations are also done in IR. Really really cool.

Oh, that page I put up is something I am working on now so it is not finished. I just posted it to get some help in the GoLive forum as I am not sure how to best handle the slicing and dicing in IR for best control over the HTML. and BTW, the total byte count on that page is 23 K with only 17 for all the images. I think that is pretty good for such a graphic page.

Convince you yet [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Beth