Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Jens:: "(I don't drink at all, and I don't watch TV at all, and the last time I was in a cinama had been decades ago). Maybe I should start drinking first to paralyze my memory :-)"

Good for you about the non-TV - me neither! Nor do I listen to news or read any newspapers. Life's too short to waste it on stuff like that. But you don't DRINK?!?!?!?! An artist and designer - and a German even - who's a damn teetotaler??? Jeez. Pathetic. Come up here to Norway somtime, and I'll pour you full of my highly illegal homemade moonshine - to make a man of you! :-)

And when you're all sloshed, I'll make you sign over your rights to your wonderful tablething design! I REALLY want a set of those - keep us posted about further progress, please.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Jens: "As my brother puts it: better to make millions with cheap crap then to starve with a fantastic design."

I challenge that cheap crap philosophy.

First, virtually no one who makes fantastic work will ever starve (and spare me stories of Van Gogh & co. please, I've heard it all before). Like truth, fantastic work will out, i.e., it will eventually succeed to *some* degree, even if it doesn't attain mass market profitability.

Second, someone who does fantastic work, whether it succeds in the market or not, will get something no cynical maker of cheap crap can ever get: self-respect.

This is my philosophy: If god Himself ascended on me out of his Heaven and boomed at me that I would never ever make a cent from my painting and writing, I would tell Him to get the hell out of my way - so I could spend my little share of eternity on my painting and writing.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Klaus,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Come up here to Norway somtime, and I'll pour you full of my highly illegal homemade moonshine - to make a man of you! :-) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll bring - illegaly - some good stuff, so first we have a great dinner, then lets get drunk - this is the only exception for me to drink :-)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>someone who does fantastic work, whether it succeds in the market or not, will get something no cynical maker of cheap crap can ever get: self-respect. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's it. Thanks a lot for writing it for me. Self respect is - at least in contrast to my brother - very important. OK, he made millions, but now he had to learn his lesson the hard way - possibly ending up losing a lot.

Cheers & have a great weekend - all of you who participated in this thread :-)

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--