Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Xara Websites

I made this design in XARA (I guess it's an outdated design now), but I like it.

www.deltamoon.addr.com

Problem is, I can't figure out how to add content. XARA did all the coding for the rollover text (and the tabs don't work yet, as this is just a practice drill).

Well, when I tried to add content (any content), I discovered XARA sliced all the way through the page, i.e. the middle is used by the slices (you with me here?)

Well, if I try to go in and add content in XARA, all the pages have that same content....I've tried to import just the html code into XARA, but XARA doesn't like its own code (it shows it all split up).

It's been a long time since I learned how to do frame pages, although this may be my answer, but I guess I can go redo it, but I would like a simpler answer..if anybody here can understand my dilemma, maybe they have an answer for me.

In the meantime, I guess I will try to ungroup a few things and see if that helps.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

http://www.deltamoon.addr.com/deltaplate.gif
    IP

I made this design in XARA (I guess it's an outdated design now), but I like it.

www.deltamoon.addr.com

Problem is, I can't figure out how to add content. XARA did all the coding for the rollover text (and the tabs don't work yet, as this is just a practice drill).

Well, when I tried to add content (any content), I discovered XARA sliced all the way through the page, i.e. the middle is used by the slices (you with me here?)

Well, if I try to go in and add content in XARA, all the pages have that same content....I've tried to import just the html code into XARA, but XARA doesn't like its own code (it shows it all split up).

It's been a long time since I learned how to do frame pages, although this may be my answer, but I guess I can go redo it, but I would like a simpler answer..if anybody here can understand my dilemma, maybe they have an answer for me.

In the meantime, I guess I will try to ungroup a few things and see if that helps.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

IP

Del,

I am not sure if I can really help you, but at least I can tell you what's wrong.

I enclose a screenshot of your site. I set the cellpadding up, so you can see how Xara sliced it up.

Horrible, to say the least !!

That's why I never use any automatic coding, slicing whatever. Since you want to do it like this, we have to find a way for you ...

One way to go would be frames allright. But looking at your design, I'd find just plain old tables more appropriate. But that's a matter of preference ..

The easy way: You send me the .xar file and I will look what I can do. I am pretty sure that it's just some definition of slices that will do the trick. Like I said, I don't use this feature, so I have not too much experience with it myself. I am sure though that I can work it out.

The hard way: In the next post, I will draw a table-construction that I think would be appropriate for the task. Your job would be to get the Xara-slicing do it the right way. More info there.

My way: I personally would just create/export every graphic needed in Xara, then do the rest by hand or in a HTML-editor. I like to a use very simple and compatible JavaScript for my rollovers. This also gives me full control of appearance / functions and the code can be as optimized as I like it to be.

If you are not so experienced in HTML-stuff, one of the first 'ways' should work for you.

I'll prepare the other graphic now and post again in a couple of minutes ..

Wolfgang
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deltasite.gif 
Views:	290 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	2267  
    IP

Here you go,

I made a very quick attempt on how the table could look like and what the images would have to look like to fit in.

There might as well be other solutions.

The slicing of the tabs would have to be arranged to fit the part that actually changes on the tabs (just the text-color or the image as well).
    But you get the point ...
    The word "Mobility" is overlapping the leftmost tab and the downstroke of the "y" goes below the bar. This could be tricky to do, but it's possible anyway.

Once again, the cellpadding is set up just so you can see the individual images. If - in real life - you set the cellpadding / cellspacing / cellborder to "0" and all cells to valign="top" everything should look like your sample.

If you have any more questions or all the above sounds like nerdish with an accent to you, just ask [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Wolfgang
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deltasite2.gif 
Views:	279 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	7285  
    IP

How did you get the layout of the slicing? That is right, but I never got such a good graphic image of what was happening, but I knew that was what was happening.

Since I wrote the post, I've been doing some digging on how to direct XARA to slice the way you want it to. I have been trying it on a more simple page, but not successful yet. I find with XARA, it takes some doing to get something to happen, but once you figure it out, it works pretty good.

Thanks Wolfgang for your personal interest in this. I know you are a busy man, so I will try to figure it out on my own first.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

IP