Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I need to draw a vector image and apply bevel effects to it before rasterizing it (unless, the bevel effects can be applied to an already-rasterized image). The problem is that the image I need to draw has a hole in it, and I want the bevel effects to appear on the inside of the hole, so just adding another solid layer won't do. I have tried copying between layers, selecting two paths at once, nothing I can imagine, or find, works. I am stumped, the included book and help files go into drawing and editing paths but don't mention this at all that I can find. They must use a term for this that I am not familiar with....
    ~~~~~~~
    And I asked this same exact question about Webster, which obviously uses a totally different method.
    ?-:/
    IP

"Webster" doug?... Is your question about using XaraX? Or Photoshop?

Now I'M confused! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    IP

----This question is about Photoshop.
    -I have Font Creator and to make a glyph with a hole in it (such as the letter "O") with that, you draw the inner contour as normal, then reverse the direction of the inner contour, and it becomes a "hole".
    -Then I bought Xara3D and it included a free copy of Webster...and I couldn't figure out how to make a donut figure in Webster. So I had to ask how to do that.
    -Now I bought Photoshop, and am attempting to copy the same logo I made originally as a font, then in Webster, but now in Photoshop. And I can't figure out how to make a hole....
    ~
    IP

aaa ok i see now said the blind man... great explanation. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It's very easy doug, just do this:

1) Create a New Layer.
    Choose the Brush tool from the Toolbar. Make sure the current brush has a hard edge, not soft.
    Hold it in the center of your canvas. Press the right square bracket ( ] ) key repeatedly until you see the outline of your brush grow to the size you want your O to be. Press D on the keyboard, then click once on the canvas.

You should now have a black dot.

2) Now without moving the brush, (if you moved it already, just realign the brush outline over the black dot), press the E key to select the Eraser tool. Using the square bracket keys, both left or right, size the Eraser tool up or down until the outline is the size you want the hole in your O to be. Then click the mouse once.

And you're done.
    Pretty simple huh? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

There are a few other methods of doing this same thing, but this is the one i use because it gets me the best results, the fastest.

Let me know how you get on with it doug.

[This message was edited by Mark (theKeeper) on November 22, 2002 at 21:20.]
    IP

doug

I did like Mark said and used the bevel and emboss layer style as below and here is the result

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	donut.gif 
Views:	284 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	10685  
    IP

-Thanks as much, but I eventually found out how to make the figure correctly in Illustrator and save it as a Postscript, and import it into PS. In the long run, making a Postscript figure was the better choice here--but what I was looking for in Photoshop (that I found in Illustrator) is the "fill rule" for when vector shapes overlap....
    IP