Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

This started as an experiment of using gradients of black to white and bleach transparencies. I got distracted and only used one bleach. Don't ask me what it means as I just got lost in the process. There are no blends, just gradient fills, feathering, and few transparencies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Man_-_Shades_of_Grey.png 
Views:	381 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	10302  

This started as an experiment of using gradients of black to white and bleach transparencies. I got distracted and only used one bleach. Don't ask me what it means as I just got lost in the process. There are no blends, just gradient fills, feathering, and few transparencies.

I like what you have done with the gradients. I like the face. I has a kind of a distant lonely look.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Corkery, that is :-)

Good start on the next Hedy Lamarr image :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

If the eyes weren't brown, it would look like a metal scuplture. I wonder how it would look with a transparent texture overlay that would give it a carved out of stone look?

Doing faces is fun, so I'm sure you did really get into the process. Great nose and mouth!

Judi

Judi (and all),

The length of the nose (from the bridge to the tip) was a bear for me. Creating the blend to represent shadows along the "sides" of the nose was not too bad but the real challenge (I spent hours experimenting with different methods ... which I've now forgotten) was getting the "edges" of the nose adjacent to the check areas to transition softly.

Doing this type of rendering where adjacent surfaces have to tansition smoothly is a mistery to me. I'm attaching the original xar file so anyone who wants, can play with any aspect of the drawing. You will see that there already some "masks" for the "skin" of the face to fiddle with. Make sure you turn on Layers (F10) first which should make editing things easier.

NOTE: This was done with version X_1d
    Attached Files Attached Files

I moved the highlight higher on each nostril. The highlight wouldn't be on the edge unless the light was from below.

I added a linear transparency to each nostril. This not only blends into the face better it also makes the nostrils look like they curve towards the face instead of being flattened.

Judi

Edited to add: For some reason the xar file was more purple than your jpg

Name:	greyman.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	3447  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I couldn't resist playing with John's dot.xar file!

Regards, Ross

PS - Sorry that this contributes nothing meaningful to the thread.

Name:	alien.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	17289  

Judi, nice touches. I forgot that I turned off the top blue "mask" when I exported the original image.

Ross, I don't know where I've seen that face before ... from Nova Scotia? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Nicely sculpted metal!

Your metal man look sad and loonely! Ross's alien shows that all extraterestial beings are not overly intelligent... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto