Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Playing with the different color channels and changing the bevel settings for each color can create surprizing and very realistic effects. I show here only very few samples of what is possible using only two principles; bitmap copies of the objects (I call the result "metallic") and bitmap copies of the same object with a bleach added (I call it "pearly"). After that I have combined the two; but I am sure other ways are also very interesting!!!
    That's what Xara X can do with ease, and that's a very enthusiasming use of bevels !!!
    Enjoy !!!

ivan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metal2.jpg 
Views:	2891 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	16212  

Playing with the different color channels and changing the bevel settings for each color can create surprizing and very realistic effects. I show here only very few samples of what is possible using only two principles; bitmap copies of the objects (I call the result "metallic") and bitmap copies of the same object with a bleach added (I call it "pearly"). After that I have combined the two; but I am sure other ways are also very interesting!!!
    That's what Xara X can do with ease, and that's a very enthusiasming use of bevels !!!
    Enjoy !!!

ivan

Hi - what you have just send in above - the metalic look - is GREAT! :-)

I will surely be using that at some stage I am sure! :-)

Here is one of my "playing around" - I tried to make a duck swimming in a small pond :-) Here goes...

Cheers,

Sten
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duck.gif 
Views:	2880 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	5035  
    Cheers,

Sten
    "Everything has two sides"

Hello

Here is a frosted glass effect using small dpi; fractal transparency.

The rounded inner and outer bevel is done with inset path mitred and the outside curved to make the text the same size as it was, but with rounded outer edges.

Mike Engles
    Attached Files Attached Files

MIke, where did you get the Pantone Process Palette you used in the file posted in the above message?

Sten,
    thank you for your duck (I think I had approximatively the same when I was a child), but I was laughing because it seems that it has blotched around your picture !!!
    Try also converting to bitmaps some limited areas of your bevels and use them like "cubist" artists.

Mike,
    thank you for your texture. Now I think that what one must try to achieve is some kind of bump textures. But certainly there are different ways to do it (I am trying).

ivan

Hello

I think it is from my old Corel Draw 3 CD.

I have used Xara since it was a beta as Xara Studio and use the same template.

Mike Engles

Hello

That is what Xara does to make bevels, but at high resolution and on the fly.
    It would be interesting to be able to create bump maps this way.

You could make a document rasterise it,add noise using a plugin, blur with another plugin and ask the bevelling engine to bump this. Apply this as transparency. I have made such maps in Photoshop and used them in Xarax.

Soon we will be asking for Xara to be a vector/bitmap/3D rendering programme!

Mike Engles

Yes, but how to give to this bump the same color interference than in the metallic bevels seen above ???

...!
    ivan

Hello

You could try just offsetting the map against the original and using the fade modes/transparency.
    There is a way,I think, to get a bas relief effect, this way.

Mike ngles