Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fellow dimensionalists--

From my recent sticking of the nose into threads here...

I think we can agree that it all comes back to:
    1.)What works best for you, and
    2.)What it is you are trying to communicate.

I wrote a Netscape Press book on multimedia back when Netscape was a real company, and I sort of tore apart the term "multimedia" as a vague buzzword for anything that animates, is the least interactive, and plays sounds. This dysfunctional definition would leave Director as the perfect multimedia creation tool, would it not?

Let's do a reality check here. A lot of us are into 3D simply because of the fun and wonder of it; the same goes for 3D animation. We often replicate stuff from around the house or parked in the driveway due to a need to see how far we can push this virtual creation thing. Can we really fool the viewer into thinking that's a real human ("Shreck" comes darned close)? Later this year, director Nicole (his first name escapes me, but he directed "Gattica" with Ethan Hawke and Ula Thurlman) is going to release a movie called "Simone", where for the most part, the actress is played by a bevy of Silicon Graphics workstations. I wish him luck.

PIXAR comes from the other school that says if something is impossible to make look real, don't try. So "Toy Story" has Gumby-like people, perfect plastic toys and realistic outdoors scenes (on par with Bryce, right?)

Here comes the point (FINALLY!): "Multimedia" means "many media". To my way of thinking, that means exactly, "Explaining something with different kinds of media." Suppose for example, you wanted to explain a paperclip (NOT Clippy...MS is killing him off, thank goodness<g>) to someone who had never seen a paperclip. First, I guess, you'd use words and hand gestures. Failing that, you'd draw a picture on a piece of paper. But the drawing doesn't tell the ignorant guy here that the paperclip is shiny metal. So you do a model of it. Finally, to give ignorant person an idea of what it's tensile characteristics are, you play a wav or aiff file of a paperclip being dropped on the floor.

One medium might do it for explaining a paperclip, okay? But it takes many media to replace the act of showing something in real life.

I really like what Alvy (co-founder of PIXAR) Smith has to say of modeling. He says it's a "visualization solution."

Think about that for a moment. Isn't that what we're here for? Isn't that a noble kinda definition?

Kindest Regards,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Visit a really large gallery at www.GaryWorld.com!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Homework.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	2368  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Fellow dimensionalists--

From my recent sticking of the nose into threads here...

I think we can agree that it all comes back to:
    1.)What works best for you, and
    2.)What it is you are trying to communicate.

I wrote a Netscape Press book on multimedia back when Netscape was a real company, and I sort of tore apart the term "multimedia" as a vague buzzword for anything that animates, is the least interactive, and plays sounds. This dysfunctional definition would leave Director as the perfect multimedia creation tool, would it not?

Let's do a reality check here. A lot of us are into 3D simply because of the fun and wonder of it; the same goes for 3D animation. We often replicate stuff from around the house or parked in the driveway due to a need to see how far we can push this virtual creation thing. Can we really fool the viewer into thinking that's a real human ("Shreck" comes darned close)? Later this year, director Nicole (his first name escapes me, but he directed "Gattica" with Ethan Hawke and Ula Thurlman) is going to release a movie called "Simone", where for the most part, the actress is played by a bevy of Silicon Graphics workstations. I wish him luck.

PIXAR comes from the other school that says if something is impossible to make look real, don't try. So "Toy Story" has Gumby-like people, perfect plastic toys and realistic outdoors scenes (on par with Bryce, right?)

Here comes the point (FINALLY!): "Multimedia" means "many media". To my way of thinking, that means exactly, "Explaining something with different kinds of media." Suppose for example, you wanted to explain a paperclip (NOT Clippy...MS is killing him off, thank goodness<g>) to someone who had never seen a paperclip. First, I guess, you'd use words and hand gestures. Failing that, you'd draw a picture on a piece of paper. But the drawing doesn't tell the ignorant guy here that the paperclip is shiny metal. So you do a model of it. Finally, to give ignorant person an idea of what it's tensile characteristics are, you play a wav or aiff file of a paperclip being dropped on the floor.

One medium might do it for explaining a paperclip, okay? But it takes many media to replace the act of showing something in real life.

I really like what Alvy (co-founder of PIXAR) Smith has to say of modeling. He says it's a "visualization solution."

Think about that for a moment. Isn't that what we're here for? Isn't that a noble kinda definition?

Kindest Regards,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Ya I agree whole heartedly with all that Gary.

For those of you who are interested there is a movie being released soon of the famous Final Fantasy series which has a huge ammount of incredible CG work in it.Actually I might be wrong on second thoughts it might all be CG,but what I have seen of it so far is just mind blowing artwork.

Stu.

How hard was that book to model Gary?

The movie, Final Fantasy, is being released Wednesday, July 11th. It is entirely 3d animated, pushing the limits of photorealistic human animation to the very limits. New levels of human animation will certainly being reached. This movie should be well worth seeing, if not for the animation purposes alone. I've been waiting 2 years for this movie, and I will most definitely be seeing it on opening night. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Earl you might find Amazonsoul.com pretty interesting as its the home of Rene Morel who designed a lot of the characters for the Final Fantasy movie,and man is that guy talented.

After you have seen the movie please let me know what you thought of it as I will have to wait a couple of months longer to see it.

Stu.

Hi Kiwi--

The book was actually quite simple. What do you *really* see in the book? It's got page paths that are simple extrusions, likewise the spine, a few pages sticking out of the book (done by inserting 2D curved planes into the geometric surface of the main pages object), and then to distract the eye, I added text to the pages by using XARA's (or corelDRAW's, this is an older piece)envelope filter on some text, and then exporting it to Photoshop as an eps file, placed over the pages and flattened the image.

By the way, if this piece does not look like others I've shamelessly littered this forum with, it's because this is a genuine RenderMan rendering.

It's a different atmosphere and textural look.

Best Regards,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com

Name:	bottle_model.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	10119  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Kiwi--

Here's the Illustrator drawing I used to make the book.

Does it seem easier now?

Best Regards,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com

Name:	openbook.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	17290  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

That guy's work on faces is by far the most realistic and best I've ever seen. I wish I knew what software he used, if it's commercial (not that I'd get the same results. Did you watch the animation of Mika's face???

BTW, if you're using Windows and want to save any of the animations to watch again, go to your cache and pull a copy out onto the desktop, a la:
    Documents and Settings\Your Name here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files.
    This is not a well-known trick.

Kindest Regards,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Thanks for that explanation Gary.I cant get over the lighting on the book itself it looks like you could just pick it up and start turning pages as the lighting is just so subtle.

I think Rene Morel uses Maya and Photoshop for texturing.I did notice they are both Fine arts graduates though.Isnt it astounding what that guy can do with polygons,its just so realistic and when you take into account that it was shaped from a square block its even more amazing,I really take my hat off to that guy.

There is also a Final Fantasy web site as well which has incredible artwork yet again,but I cant remember if the url is finalfantasy.com but it might be.

Cheers.

Stu.