Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hi AjIscoool and others,

CorelDraw (PhotoPaint) has been my favorite program for many years. I started with CD4 and now use CD7 too. Every time I was considering an upgrade all the talk about "slow, buggy, bad GUI, etc. put me off and CD7 is really very nice.

I'm actually considering DC10 again but I hear it doesn't come with a hardcopy manual?

I have forced myself into using XaraX almost exclusively for the past several (8 or 9) months because of all the wonderful things it can do, the ease of use, my interest in animation with Flash like programs and the difficulty I had with the CorelDraw vector tools.

It still isn't second nature to me (I'm old) but I have found drawing in PhotoPaint THEN importing the bitmap into Xara has freed me up a bit.

Whew! Anyway, I have posted this bitmap I recently drew with that approach in mind.

Glad to see this forum being used again.

Bob C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FaceGreenRockJaw.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	18706  
    IP

I am an avid user of both PhotoPaint 10 and XaraX and am doing a "mixed bag" digital painting using both.

I have gotten most, if not all of the 'painting' done in PhotoPaint and now am adding vector objects to it.

So I am very open to opinions, this is a large file, it has been reduced as far down as I dare go.

One aspect I DO NOT like is the hair. The color is good, I like that just fine. But, and me being a hairdresser, can not believe how bad the front curl/wave around the face came out. Wish there was a quick fix to that. I was thinking of trying to do a vector overlay in XaraX, but I would rather fix it the right way.

It's for my mom. I call "Mom's Angel". The background is XaraX, the angel is entirely done in PhotoPaint except for the halo.

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Name:	Moms_Angel_Final_X.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	4035  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

Hello all,
    I don't have Photo Paint, but I sure enjoy looking at all the art work in TalkGraphics. Ramwolff you did it again. I sure like your Angel. You don't need to make excuses about the hair. I like it just the way it is. George Troy
    IP

but I still think it could be better.

Mr. Mike Bailey, you do amazing work in PhotoPaint. I would love it if you would comment and recommend what ever you can to help me out here and any other areas that you think would be helpful. I also am aware that Michael C. is a moderator here but I see him VERY present in the Corel newsgroup, but not much here.

Thanks very much

RAMwolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

Ramwolff:
    Do a SEARCH called “I hate doing hair” and look in ‘The Xara Gallery” . In that thread look for a post by David Zubrowski he lists “Hair 1” and “Hair 2” some good stuff there that might help.

Seems you like CD10 have you used any other version of CD and how do they compare?

Bob C.
    IP

Thanks so much for the lead [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

There is NO comparison to Corel PhotoPaint 8 to 10. PP10 is buggy, slow and clunky. Just go to the newsgroup: corel.graphic_apps.photo-paint10 and puruse through the posts. Even Michael Cervantes agrees that this version is not the cream of the crop. It's a shame, for all the new features and whatnot they managed to make very unstable. Mine runs OK, and I have to admit that it is not as buggy as I have found XaraX to be, the brushes tool is a nightmare for me to use, so I don't use it and it's a shame, I love my furry critters and ALL the fur type brushes cause XaraX to crash in a stack fault exception every time. PhotoPaint just warns you when things get unstable and at least allows you to save your work and restart the program. PP8 did not give me ANY problems like that at all, but less features. So it's a toss up. Stablity vs features, 10 or 8.........I choose 10 (as I have chosen to stick with XaraX compared to CorelXara)

So I am hoping that CD11 and XaraX 2, or whatever it will be named, will both have these bugs ironed out.

Thanks so much, again.

[This message was edited by RAMWolff on March 02, 2002 at 21:55.]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

I visit time to time, but this group is not very active.

RAMWolf, the problem with PP10 is that Corel rushed publishing it because stock market, and Corel financial situation. It could be better than Shop. A little polish and it will be ready. I hope they implement new tools, and polish it for version 11.

Shop version 7 didn't change much, so PP11 has the opportunity to make it better. PP10 does some things better than Shop, but still Shop is the best image editor in the market.

After SP2 XP runs PP10 pretty good. Not perfect, because still it has many bugs, but better.

Best regards

Michael Cervantes
    MC Design Studio.
    IP

Mike,
    I really like your chinese dragon. Is there a way to make the scales as a group instead of one by one?

RamWolff,
    Your angel is lovely. I especially like the hands,feet, and wings. I think her feet need to be centered under her body more though.

I use Photopaint 9,draw 10,illustrator 10, Painter 6. So much to learn so little time.

Cheryl
    IP

Hi RAMWolff, Your Angel is wonderful, its nice to see some folks taking interest in this forum.

This might give you some ideas, attached is an example of how I combine programs. I used Poser, xara and photopaint to render the model, I think it illustrates effective rendering of hair and cloth.
    I will explain step by step the techniques if your interested, but I would have to start from scratch.

Hello Cheryl, Glad you like the dragon, scales? yes I would do them with a vector grouping, I have experimented with various ways to do them, one way I find effective is to draw a crisscrossing pattern of lines that fit the shape, add some color and smudge each one slightly, this kinda gives the illusion of scales, Then I can spend a great deal of time perfecting them. If you look closely at the second dragons foot you might see some this. I could have carried it through out the dragon but I got bored and never finished it.

This thread is getting long, time to be continued with a new thread

[This message was edited by Mike Bailey on March 03, 2002 at 07:48.]
    IP

So with my request to have you do a tutorial on hair and cloth in PhotoPaint maybe you could start the new thread with that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I don't use poser, but I love the realistic model it rendered. Expensive isn't it???

I actually spent the morning repotting plants and reworking this 'hair problem', end result, hopfully happier plants and, I think, an improved upon face and hair on the Moms Angel project. I reworked the eyes, lips and eyebrows, hence the mentioning of the face AND hair [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Tell me what you think.........

Thanks so much. I can't believe this forum isn't used more. I think TalkGraphics is the 'cats meow' of graphics forums out there on the web.

Name:	Moms_Angel_Face.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	840  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP