Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Indeed, my Opera crashed too on some of the applets. In the days of version 3 I mailded them about that, stating that it is quite OK to be THE browser that really follows 3W, but that the reality of the web is that there is A LOT of bad coding, and that a browser should be ready to give all the advantages of the new possibilities 3W offers and tries to straighten out, but also be capable of handling a certain amount of bad coding too, simply to see life as it is: with bruises, virusses, dirt et all.
    Me too I prefer Opera for 99%, but, as with Xara X: there is room for improvement. What is better in IE5 for example is that it gives those little text balloons when you mouse over an image. This is 3W, and Opera can't do it.
    The same with their mailclient: I had problems, and they suggested using Eudora...

About the applets: having had the problems with my PC's memory, I now check regularly. I visited Gary's applet page, and saw no increase whatsoever in usage. I have Anfy registered, and tried out for myself quite large images with applets, and observed no real problems.

What does cause problems though, is the bad coding that "surrounds" the applet, for example forgotten tags etc.

People want to hand code, and make mistakes, or use Frontpage and have to accept its' coding errors. Even the Pro-tools make it more complicated than necessary.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Quite disappointed to see a JavaScript password module there, since guarding access with JavaScript is incredibly stupid. (reasons available on request)

'People want to hand code, and make mistakes'...

Not with Dave Raggett's HTML Tidy, they don't! (See my postings about this in the 'Site Design and Publishing' forum.)

It comes from W3C, it's free, you can use TidyGUI if you're not into command lines, and you can even run it from other apps like NoteTab Pro...

It's just so incredibly useful - give it a try!

Peter

PS Revisited this message with the intention of adding a link to my other postings, but the thread they're in ('Favourite Web Editor') seems to have been behaving a bit strangely, and even the links from the list of postings in my profile are just leading to the top of that thread.

Must be machines causing the problem! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on February 20, 2001 at 11:00 AM.]

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on February 20, 2001 at 11:07 AM.]

I'm trying the visitor tracker module on my London House site. It does slow things a bit - wouldn't want it on more than one page, but it does give good information about the country of visitors, the browser used etc.

I've got Perl logging on the rest of the site - but the reporting isn't as neat.

By the way, I need more visitors...!

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I thought it was pretty neat too, but removed it when I saw that it wouldn't pick up webtv users, or other browsers with Java turned off. By the way, I use netscape 4.74 on a Sun workstation, and wasn't able to get the selection menu in the Module Store to work. Of course on my Sun at work, I can't see Web or Xar files either...

B